xii. wait·ing

the action of staying where one is or delaying action until a particular time or event.

• • •

Mara shut the door to her hotel room and leaned back against it. The cold metal pressed against her tanned legs that were already chilled from the short walk. She bit her lower lip trying to hold back a smile before Raven saw her blushing. She couldn't believe she just finished a date with an NFL player. She came here for an interview and ended up getting so much more.

"Mara, is that you?" Raven asked. Mara took a deep breath before going further into the hotel room to see Raven. Her friend was sitting on her bed flipping through a Bridal magazine. The woman desperately wanted to marry Danny and spent her free time planning the wedding she hoped they would one day have. She closed the magazine and set it in her lap to give Mara her whole-hearted attention. "Where have you been?" Raven asked. Julian had texted her but she wanted to hear what Mara had to say.

"Out to dinner," Mara said shortly. She went to the mirror and began taking out her diamond earrings that she couldn't remember where she got from.

"By yourself?" Raven pried, trying to get more information out of Mara.

"No. I was with one of the players," Mara finally revealed. Raven gasped trying to act as surprised as she could. Being surprised about news she already knew was harder than she thought.

"Which one?"

"Julian Edelman," Mara explained. Raven began jumping up and down. She was so excited just to hear Mara say his name again.

"That's great! Did you have fun? Was he amazing? Did you kiss him? Is he the one?" Raven asked giddily. Her excitement was similar to a child.

"Yes. Yes. No. I don't know," Mara said answering all of Raven's questions.

"Are you going to see him again?" Raven asked suddenly in a serious tone and losing all of the silliness that she just had.

"I hope so but I don't know," Mara frowned.

"Why don't you know if you will see him?" Raven asked. Her eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"Well because he is an NFL player and I'm just Mara," she explained, her frown still on her face.

"What did you like about him?" Raven asked, ignoring what Mara said.

"He seems so different and down to earth. He makes me feel like he knows and cares for me. It's such a familiar and warming feeling. He's just different," Mara said getting giddy again just talking about Julian.

"Julian is a good guy. Him and Danny are really good friends," Raven said going back to looking through her magazine.

"If they are such good friends, why haven't I met him until now?" Mara asked.

Raven gulped and her eyes widened. She completely froze. She stopped looking at the pages of the magazine and looked straight up with doe eyes. She hadn't expected that question and hadn't prepared herself for it. How was she supposed to answer that? "He um he likes to um I don't actually know why you haven't met him before," Raven finally answered. Mara slipped off her wedges and put them back into her neatly packed luggage. She had always kept their house so neat and tidy so it was no surprise that her bag was just as neat.

"Oh. Okay," Mara shrugged.

"How is your article coming?" Raven asked.

"I have a few more notes to write down from my dinner with him and then I think it will be nearly done," Mara said. She got out her notebook and began sifting through the pages trying to find the page with the notes about Julian. A small sheepish smile spread across her face when she finally found the page with the handwritten notes

Julian Edelman
• Short and fit
• Life is a lot like football, prepares you for the big game
• Appreciative and Caring
• Likes white roses because everyone else likes red
• Strong relationship with his dad. Dad got him to like football
•Competitive. Especially if there is a date on the line
•Makes you feel important

Raven peaked over Mara's shoulder. "Those are some good notes. Describes him perfectly," Raven said. Mara smiled bashfully at her friend. She went to the mini fridge to grab a bottled water before going back to her comfortable spot on the bed. There was a knock on the door and Mara's heart skipped a beat.

"I'll get it!" She exclaimed, hoping it would be Julian. Raven smiled quietly, seeing how excited Mara was to see Julian again was a good sign. Mara opened the door and her wide smile instantly faded.

"Mara!! It's so good to see you again! How are you?" Danny exclaimed before wrapping Mara in his surprisingly muscular arms. The man was short, nearly as short as Julian, and Mara hadn't expected him to be that strong. She was so confused by who this man was that was hugging her.

"I'm... Good," she answered slowly. Danny's arms were still wrapped around her and he couldn't see the confusion on her face. He finally released her. She walked towards Raven who was now standing at hearing the sound of her boyfriend's voice. "Who is that?" Raven asked very quietly.

"Hey, Danny," Raven said meeting her boyfriend with a kiss on the cheek. Mara nodded and went back to her article on Julian. Raven frowned that Mara didn't remember who Danny was, and Danny sensed it and slightly hung his head.

Julian Edelman to some of you may be known as a slot receiver, one of the most trusted receivers on the New England Patriots, a quarterback turned wide receiver, or the short guy with a lot of heart

Julian Edelman to some of you may be known as a slot receiver, one of the most trusted receivers on the New England Patriots, a quarterback turned wide receiver, or the short guy with a lot of heart. But Julian was also the white rose of the 2009 NFL draft. While other teams went for the more popular and sought after red rose, the New England Patriots picked their own white rose. Star slot receiver Julian Edelman has made a name for himself in New England. From his short build to his competitive heart, fans love his will to win. Ever since Julian was a young boy who was tossing the football in the backyard with his father in Redwood City, California he dreamed of playing in the Super Bowl one day. Julian's big break comes this Sunday as his team takes on the Seattle Seahawks. He says that life has prepared him for this game, with all of the hits and misses, catches and tackles, and scoring of course. After my interview with Julian, one thing is for certain: The New England Patriots made a great pick in their own White Rose.

Mara's perfectly polished fingers typed rapidly as she found her way to write about Julian. She soon found her article finished, but not quite ready to close her story on Julian just yet.

🙄🙄🙄
Let me know what you all think! I love feedback!