The Angels Take Manhattan

I was so not ready for how jumpy I was when I was writing this. It was not fun. All I can say . . . I think everyone will be pitying Jessie more than Alice by the end of this. And that's saying something.

So I'll just cut to the chase. Enjoy - if you can - "The Angels Take Manhattan."

***

"New York growled at my window, but I was ready for it. My stocking seams were straight, my lipstick was combat ready, and I was packing cleavage that could fell an ox at twenty feet."

"Doctor. You're doing it again."

"I'm reading!"

"Aloud! Please, could you not?"

"Is it the usual?" Jessie asked as she tilted her head back to see the Doctor and Amy reading back to back, both of them with a different book, she and Rory sprawled on the picnic blanket, just relaxing.

"Yes," the Doctor nodded before frowning at Amy. "There's something different about you, isn't there?"

Amy frowned, emphasizing pushing up her reading glasses. "What's the book?" Rory asked.

"Melody Malone," the Doctor answered. "She's a private detective in old town New York."

"She's got ice in her heart and a kiss on her lips," Amy began.

"And a vulnerable side she keeps well hidden," Jessie finished.

The Doctor blinked, looking at Amy. "Oh, you've read it?"

"You read it," Amy shook her head. "Aloud . . . and then went yowzah!"

"I've probably heard it more than you have, Amy," Jessie snickered.

"Only you could fancy someone in a book," Rory sighed.

"I'm just reading it!" the Doctor protested.

"And he likes the cover," Jessie sang.

While the Doctor glared at her, Amy brightened and set her book down. "Ooo!" she turned around, leaning into the Doctor. "Can we see the cover?"

"No, no, I'm busy!" the Doctor batted her away as she tried to see, making Jessie and Rory snicker. "It's your hair! Is it your hair?"

"Oh, shut up," Amy huffed. "It's the glasses. I'm wearing reading glasses now, on my nose, see? There you go."

"I don't like them," the Doctor shook his head. "They make your eyes look all liney." Amy narrowed her eyes threateningly. "No, actually, sorry. They're fine. Carry on."

"OK, I'm going to get us some coffee," Rory announced suddenly, jumping up to his feet. "Who wants more coffee?"

"I do!" Jessie scrambled up as well.

"Brilliant, we'll go."

"Rory," Amy asked, tiltling her head innocently. "Do I have noticeably lines on my eyes now?"

"Yes," the Doctor said.

"No," Rory shook his head.

"You didn't look," Amy said.

"I noticed them earlier," Rory said, then quickly backed up. "Didn't notice them! I specifically remember not noticing them."

Amy frowned, then beckoned with her finger. "You walk among fire pits, Centurion."

"Do I have to come over there?"

"You can if you like."

"Well, we have company."