memoir

Jeonghan was seven when he first met Mingyu.

The boy was running around the park when he suddenly bumped against Jeonghan making the latter fall to the ground and cry. Mingyu panicked and showered Jeonghan with apologies but what stopped Jeonghan from crying was when Mingyu offered to buy him ice cream. Jeonghan quickly got up and pulled Mingyu towards the ice cream vendor shamelessly.

--

Jeonghan was nine when he and Mingyu made a tree house.

With the help of their fathers, they made a tree house at the big sycamore tree in Mingyu's backyard. They drew and painted on the walls with what a nine year old can do. They put pillows and blankets so they can also sleep in their small tree house. They spent their nights just gazing at the stars from their precious haven.

--

Jeonghan was thirteen when he realized he was in love with his best friend.

It was sudden. Too sudden. They were hanging out at Mingyu's place at that time. Jeonghan ate Mingyu's favorite food so when the latter found out about it, he attacked Jeonghan and pinned him down on the floor. It was at that moment when he realized he was in love. He quickly pushed Mingyu off him and run out of the house saying he forgot to do something at home.

--

Jeonghan was fourteen when he decided not to confess.

Mingyu was very dense so he never noticed Jeonghan's feelings for him no matter how obvious it was. Literally everyone knows about it except Mingyu himself. Jeonghan made their friends promise never to tell Mingyu despite the endless encouragement to confess. But then again, Jeonghan was a coward. He will never confess because it might ruin his friendship with Mingyu and he doesn't want that. Just staying beside Mingyu was enough for him.

--

Jeonghan was sixteen when Mingyu had his first girlfriend.

One night, the said boy came knocking furiously at Jeonghan's house and when he opened the door he was greeted with an expression he had never seen Mingyu make. It showed happiness and excitement Jeonghan had never seen before. To say he was surprised was an understatement. Jeonghan was gonna asked what happened to Mingyu when the latter suddenly shouted "Jeonghan, I finally have a girlfriend! Remember that girl-" With those words Jeonghan became stiff and unable to speak. Mingyu continued rambling about the girl but Jeonghan didn't pay attention anymore. He was busy on controlling his tears that were starting to brim around his eyes. And his heart. His poor heart. It was slowly shattering into millions of pieces unbeknownst to Mingyu.

That night, Jeonghan experienced his first and last heartbreak.