Chapter 2 ~ Voices

Chapter 2 ~ Voices

The Guardians and I arrived back at the pole where we hoped the dragoness would still be unconscious. When we arrived back the whole place was shaking and a blood chilling roar could be heard from all corners of the workshop.

"North," I yelled over the roars as we all hopped off the sleigh.

"Yes," He yelled back.

"How far down is this 'dungeon'?"

"Um...," He paused with a worrying look on his face, "..about three miles down."

"WHAT?!?" We all screeched shock. How the hell could all this commotion be affecting the workshop from three miles above.

"I know, I'm worried as well. We'd better hurry or the dragoness is going to tear this place apart."

We all followed North to a large rusty sized elevator that I'd never seen before.

"Quickly this way," he said.

We nodded and jumped into the elevator. Once we were all in and the gate behind us was sealed, North pulled a wooden lever at the right side of the elevator which sent it and us plummeting down very fast to this 'dungeon'.

As soon as we got there we all took in the surroundings. The tunnel we had to walk down looked like a cave; it was very dark, hardly any lighting, with bats hanging from the loose cables leading to the lights. How could they even survive down here? The shaking and roaring had become even louder causing some small rock and dust to fall from the roof and walls of the cave.

At the end of the tunnel were two doors. One was straight ahead, huge and made of oak with red and white patterns all over it. The other was in the wall to the left and barley big enough to fit North through. It was made of iron which was also rusting and looked hardly used.

"Everyone in here," North pointed to the small iron door and opened it revealing spiralling staircase also made out of iron going up.

It was a tight fit but one by one we went up the stairs until we entered what looked like an old fashioned control room. At the front of the room were huge windows with iron shutters blocking sight of whatever was behind them. North flipped a few switches on a desk in front of the windows and then pushed down a lever that looked like the one used for the northern lights.

The iron shutters slowly opened making a wering mechanical sound as the hydraulics kicked in. As soon as they were fully opened the shaking and screeching had stopped.

We looked out the now visible window. On the other side was giant cave which stretched back so far you couldn't see where it ended. It was lit up with big, long pendent lights scattered around the place, the same as we saw in the tunnel. It was silent as we looked around for her, but there was no trace of any living creature ever being in here, that was until we spotted several the scratch marks on the rocks leading up to the door which sat on a large ledge several hundred meters from the floor of the cave.

"Where did she go?" asked Tooth looking around nervously.

Suddenly from the back of the cave we could hear a growl and scratching noises.

North push a few more buttons and a compartment opened up from the control panel with a microphone slowly rising up. Next to it were a red and green button. The red one was currently shining but turned off and switched to green once North pressed it.

"Hello?"

North's voice echoed around the inside of the cave as it boomed out of speakers positioned inside. Squinting our eyes to see better we saw something moving in the far away darkness. Slowly, a glowing white eye with a thin black slit down the middle emerged from the darkness and peered at us. On the skin around the eyes where three scars.