Chapter 3 ~ Nightmares

***Jack's POV***

---------------Nightmare----------------

*gasp*

I shot straight up as I woke with a start, my hands in my hair as I attempted to massage my pounding head.  I looked around the room trying to figure out where the hell I was.  I couldn't see three inches in front of my face and the only sounds I could hear were drops of water splashing to the ground on my hands, which was cold even for me!  

I tried to stand up but fell down again, it felt like there were tonnes of bricks on my back keeping me pinned down.  Eventually I managed to stand up after falling back down numerous times.  When I got my balance my eyes started to adjust a little to the darkness, from what I could see it looked like I was inside of what looked a cave.  

There were stalactites and stalagmites blanketing the cave floor and sealing, I had to be careful where I stepped.  The floor was slippery and in some places covered with cave moss.  The inside of the cave was very damp which caused the noise of the dripping water I heard as it slowly trickled down the stalactites.

Suddenly a bright light appeared straight in front of me, blinding my vision completely.  I covered my eyes and hid behind a close by stalagmite, hoping not to be spotted by who or whatever was casting that light.

After my eyes adjusted to the brightness I decided to take a peek at what was casting the light. 

What I saw shocked me to the point that I could no longer breathe.

It was the new guardian.  The girl that was shown on the crystal was standing a few feet away from me, her eyes staring just above where I was hiding.  The light seemed to be coming from behind her but I couldn't see what was casting it.  I reached behind me for my staff but couldn't feel anything, I turned  around only to realise... it wasn't there.  Great! 

I turned my head back around to see that she was now facing towards the light, staring at the ground. With all the courage I mustered I slowly walked out from behind the stalagmite and walked towards her, my heart pounding in my chest so loudly I was sure that she could hear it.

I was now standing directly behind her seeing that she was only a little shorter than me but still quite tall.  I was surprised she hadn't noticed me.  Either that or she had always known I was here and was waiting for the right moment to attack!  

I slowly lifted up my right hand and hesitatingly placed it on her right shoulder.  Her head jolted up a little taking me by surprise and immediately remove my hand. 

Slowly she turned around to face me, her head still staring at the floor and eyes hidden by her hair.  I could just see her mouth which was slightly open as she was breathing heavily, like if she were nervous or had been crying.  I answered my own question when I saw streaks of dry tears running down both sides of her face.  Why had she been crying?  

I started backing up as she slowly lifted her head to reveal bright red eyes instead of the beautiful pure white and pale blue ones I saw in the crystal.  Her head was still tilted down a little but she was staring at me through her hair, as if she were a lioness and I was her pray. 

Out of the corner of my eye I could see the very faint outline of a person walking forward from the light but I couldn't make out who it was.  Until they spoke.

"Finnish him."  

Pitch.

The girl walked forward slowly and I stared in shock and she pulled out a dagger that she had been hiding in the side of the belt on her shorts.  I backed up quickly until I hit a cave wall.  She kept walking forwards until she stood directly in front of me.  More tears were spilling from her eyes as she whispered two words into my ears.