Chapter One

I'd been back at Granville Academy for a good few weeks now, long enough to get into some sort of routine; I'd wake up at 6:00 AM, get ready, buy a Vanilla Frappachino from the Starbucks down my road, then walk the long route to school - the one through the woods where nobody else goes- with my ear phones in. I'd attend each lesson in silence. I used to be naughty, but that clever naughty, which all the teachers seem to take a shine on. Now I didn't speak unless it was completley necceseray. Saying that, I don't speak much anymore, unless it's to Kayla. At lunch, I sit with Nadia in the hall (or if it's a Thursday, sit and watch her in prom commitee) and then go back to lessons, and walk home the long route, again by myself, with my earphones in. On Friday I go to Kayla's house, and we usually go out that night. 

We don't always go to clubs, if you're thinking we're the type of girls who are well known to be seen at Players Bar every weekend. We go to block parties, house parties, field parties. Most of the places we go, we're strangers to everybody else, which is one of the magical things about it.  Sometimes we go to the little resteraunt/bar on top of the old theatre in the city centre and watch the night pass by, sipping cocktails. Sometimes we go out of town to night clubs, or parties in different, bigger cities. Sometimes we just do something completley mad, like wait till midnight then jump on a bus drunk and see where it takes us.

We go out again on Saturday night. Sometimes we'll only go out on Friday, sometimes only on Saturday, sometimes both. Then on Sunday we go to McDonalds for our hangover cure (hash browns and a sausage and egg McMuffin), then go shopping. Kayla's dad does this thing...he calls it 'jobs'. It's something to do with bank cards. It's not legal, but dosen't hurt anybody. He makes enough money to live comfortably from it, and sometimes he'll generously give me and Kayla his card. 

Then on Monday I sleep at hers and wake up at 6AM for school. I leave uniform and a toothbrush at her house in case I sleep again during the week. 

Today, the weather is slightly more tedious and forlorn than usual. Our weekend has been more eventful than usual; a boy who's currently trying to impress Kayla invited us to a rave where he's rapping, on Friday night, then on Saturday, we went for dinner, then to a posh bar full of privatley educated students, where we were fluttered over by a pair of upper class white boys, who Kayla managed to sweet talk a bag of pills out of.

I can still taste vodka in my saliva, and my body is heavier than ever. 

I look rough too; my hair is down and in it's natrual form of uncontrollable curls, instead of straightened and tied into a perfect round ballarina bun on top of my head. I'm not wearing my usual full coverage of face make-up, so I look pale and tired; my black eyeliner and long dark lashes making me look even whiter. 

I turn up the volume of my music, ready to face a long week of school, and pull my bag over my shoulder. 

I head through the doors, and to my form room. I sit next to a girl who's even quieter than me in school, called Suzannah. I nod at her and she's smiles shyly back. I guess she's a different sort of quiet. She's shy, and timid. I just choose not to speak on much - not anymore. Everything except my education seems like a waste of time when it comes to school now. I just observe.

I flick through my large blue science binder. It's filled up fast with work and sheets of revision in the little time I've been back. Thank God for my tutor, or there would have been no way in hell that I could have caught up with all the work that was covered when I wasn't here. Thanks to my tutor though, I've managed to maintain my predicted A's, A*'s and a few B's in my GCSE exams. I stare down at my notes from last week, trying to make the words stick into my mind.

''Everybody, quiet, please!'' Mr. Rhodes, my form teacher, yells, breaking my concontration. I glare to where he is stood at the front of the class with annoyance. He must have seen my stare, and his expression seems to weaken a little.