Chapter 41

41

IT WAS pretty hard (okay, nearly impossible) to simply sit there and watch a gobstoppingly massive battleship capable of devastating mass blow-stuff-upping drift towards your ship (which is, for comparison, a mere squashed bug on said battleship's windshield), especially if you'd just recently witnessed one of them do some of that devastating mass blow-stuff-upping (on a large freighter full of hundreds of good people).

But that was the plan. Kanan's plan, specifically.

Kanan sighed, resting his chin on his good arm as he placed it on the dashboard. (Typically he would have used both of them, but, as you already know, it was very painful to move one of them).

My plans suck, he thought despondently. Like... every single one of them. Really bad.

Star Destroyers were kind of slow, so he decided to pass the time counting each of his numerous disastrous plans.

1) Ever going to "rescue" those Wookies and nearly falling into a trap. (Thankfully, Ezra had warned them in time - only to be captured. The rebels got him back and he shared the real location of the Wookies, allowing a real rescue to be carried out, though.)

2) Ever going to "rescue" Jedi Master Luminara Unduli at the ominous prison known as the Spire. It turned out to be a trap (AGAIN - Kanan could definitely see some sort of recurring ironic theme going on there). Also, they barely escaped with their lives, thanks to a new villain they met in the Spire who actually organized the trap - the Inquisitor. The Inquisitor was a creepy-looking Pau'an, apprentice of the Dark Side, and probable avid collector of Force-sensitive rebel heads.

3) Sending Ezra to join the Imperial Academy on Lothal in order to steal information for a vital op. Sure, Ezra had (eventually - the delay had given Kanan a heart attack) succeeded in getting the intel, thus allowing Kanan and Hera to destroy an Imperial shipment of a large kyber crystal (gee, THAT sure was resurfacing in Kanan's mind right now), but Ezra had decided to STAY BEHIND at the Academy to nobly rescue an Imperial cadet. (Cue another heart attack, and also #LifeWithEzraBridger.)

4) The decision to let Zeb and Chopper throw milk cartons at Ezra for lightsaber training - ON TOP OF THE GHOST, HUNDREDS OF FEET ABOVE THE GROUND. Kanan had VERY nearly saved Ezra from the disaster you can surely picture in your head.

5) Luring the Inquisitor to the dilapidated Fort Anaxes with Ezra. Poor Kanan still felt shaken over that incident. (WORST. FIELD TRIP. EVER. 'Nuff said.)

6) Using Zeb's bed as a place to hide (more specifically, underneath it, and from Ezra; Zeb himself; Sabine, and Chopper - long story short, they had decided that the day had come to torment Kanan in an attempt to make him undo his ponytail). It had NOT been the most pleasant experience. (The smell was like a tiny Sarlacc slowly digesting your nose).

7) Deciding to hijack an Imperial transmission tower in order to broadcast a rallying message to the people and uplift the crew's spirits. (It didn't. At all.)

8) Sending Ezra out alone. That was utterly the worst of all Kanan's ideas, even worse than

9) this, right now.

And that was just nine.

Suddenly, another message crackled through the internal com, startling Kanan out of his depressing thoughts (rather rudely, too). "Vessel, you will dock with us or be completely destroyed."

Could you possibly be half-destroyed? Kanan promptly wondered. "Okay," he responded simply. The Star Destroyer was almost directly above the Phantom now, so he didn't really have much of a choice anyway (if he hadn't insanely wanted this to happen). If he did try to fly away now for whatever reason, then he would either be A) blown to smithereens, or B) given a slightly nastier cell after being caught in their tractor beam and, ultimately, being dragged away.

Scarcely before he could start prepping to dock as impolitely ordered, Kanan quickly realized that probability B was actually unavoidable. (In fact, Kanan had almost definitely never had a choice to prepare for the docking. The captain's command must have been a mere test to see whether Kanan would give him an excuse to blow up the Phantom.) His ship gave a fierce jerk as the Star Destroyer's tractor beam activated and p-u-u-ulled it up into the docking bay.

Kanan was having some serious second thoughts, and no, he was not just starting to have them.

He took a deep breath.

Hera was right. Hera is ALWAYS right. I'm absolutely insane. I have no idea how this is going to work, how it's working at all so far, or how the heck a one-armed Jedi is gonna fight his way through an army, unfamiliar surroundings, and who knows what else, get the kyber crystal, and get out.

This is goodbye... for real this time.

***