Chapter 51

51

AFTER KANAN was bandaged, cleaned up, and devoid of stormtrooper armor (and all angry women were appeased), the foursome set out through the fields, just as they had not so many days before - only this time, they were selling a potentially deadly kyber crystal to a shady crime boss. (What could possibly go wrong?)

Kanan's lightsaber was clipped back onto his belt for all of Vizago's droids to see as he warily reentered the Devaronian's black market camp, but he kept the crystal out of sight in case they or Vizago himself attempted to break the deal.

The tiny band paused as Hera stepped towards one of the large droids, her eyes narrowed and lekku twitching. "Take us to Vizago."

The droid silently turned and walked off in the direction of Vizago's tent. The rebels exchanged glances before following it. Every one of them had their hands on their weapons, just in case the probability came true that the situation turned very sour.

The droid soon came to a rigid halt before Vizago's tent. As the rebels entered, Kanan couldn't help but notice that the droid remained where it was, even though there were already five guards.

Kanan didn't really like that much.

Vizago was sitting at the head of his table again, smirking at them in a rather ominous way as he drummed his claws together. "Ah, very good, very good. Glad to see my clientele back in one piece. Tell me, how was the journey? Are you all well? I notice that Kanan there has a bandage on his head. That must be some story, being the all-powerful Jedi you are, eh?"

Kanan's eye twitched. "Cut to the chase, Vizago," he snarled. "We've got the crystal. You give us the intel."

Vizago smiled smugly. "Such a fine businessman, you are." He stretched, leaning back in his chair. "You see... there seems to be a... problem with that."

Hera gripped onto the blaster at her side. "Vizago..." she growled warningly. "We almost sacrificed our lives for this crystal. You are going to cooperate and you are going to be honest or else I will take the crystal and destroy it - right here, right now."

The other rebels stared at Hera in horror or questioning while Vizago snapped to attention, giving Hera a long look.

"You're... you're bluffing," he said with false confidence, waving a hand carelessly.

"Am I?" Hera reached into her pocket and removed the kyber crystal. It glittered in the half-light as she pressed the muzzle of her blaster against it, gazing back into Vizago's soul.

"Are you INSANE, Twi'lek?!" Vizago's violet eyes stretched wide and he sat forward so fast he nearly fell out of his chair. "Y-You'll kill us all!"

Hera regarded him calmly. Her crewmates were silent. "Do you want to find out?"

Vizago bit his lip, then stood and approached them.

"That's close enough," Hera snapped, and he froze about five feet away.

"I'll.. all right, all right, I'll cooperate!" Vizago stammered. "H-Here's the intel: the Empire is taking your Ezra Bridger boy to a planet called Kysor 4 tomorrow morning."

Hera flinched.

Kanan stared at Vizago hard. "The Empire? But we've done our own investigations through our own sources and they've reported that the Empire doesn't have Ezra."

"Well, your sources must not be as trustworthy as you think they are," Vizago drawled.

Hera narrowed her eyes. "What are yours?"

"I've given you all the information you are entitled to. Now hand over the kyber crystal, Syndulla." Vizago folded his scarred, muscular arms.

Hera glanced over at the others. All three of them gave her a small nod, but this small action made the bigger message clear: it was worth it for Ezra, and if this decision came back to bite them one day, then so be it.

Hera couldn't have agreed more.

She tossed Vizago the kyber crystal. He fumbled to catch it, then glared at the rebels, an ear twitching.

"As always, it has been a pleasure," he said flatly.

"The feeling is mutual." Hera beckoned to her crew. Then they all turned and walked out without a second glance, regarding the droids with wary eyes.

Once they were gone, Vizago looked down at the kyber crystal. A smirk slowly appeared on his lips. Then he began to chuckle. Then the Devaronian almost doubled over with laughter.

"Those rebels are fools," he gasped, once he finally started to recover. He grinned spitefully after them, then exited the tent in order to confront one of his droids.

"Contact Marek at once," Vizago told it, narrowing his eyes. "And tell him he had better pay every last credit he promised me."

***