10. Coach Norman Dale's Speech

Inspiration on Film
Compiled by Fox-Trot-9

10. Coach Norman Dale's Speech
From Hoosiers (1986)
Delivered by Gene Hackman

Norman Dale: There's a tradition in tournament play to not talk about the next step until you've climbed the one in front of you. I'm sure going to the State finals is beyond your wildest dreams, so let's just keep it right there.

Forget about the crowds, the size of the school, their fancy uniforms, and remember what got you here. Focus on the fundamentals that we've gone over time and time again.

And most important, don't get caught up thinking about winning or loosing this game. If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners!

Okay?!!

Alright!!

Let's go!!

Let's go!!

Let me hear it!!!

(To be continued...)

A/N: I haven't watched this film in such a LONG time, I was surprised to see it on TV when I had the chance to see it a few months ago.. Not sure when, though. I think this is one of the great peptalks ever given. It illustrates that plain fact that it doesn't matter how many points, wins or losses you accumulate, when all that really matters is that you give it your all. Winners are defined by the commitment they put into ever second of game time.