39. Rocky Balboa's Speech

Inspiration on Film
Compiled by Fox-Trot-9

39. Rocky Balboa's Speech
From Rocky V (1990)
Delivered by Sylvester Stallone

Rocky Balboa: (to Tommy) Fightin' is like ninety percent in the skull and ten percent in the body. This is what he says to me.

Robert Stallone: Hey Dad, I met this really nice girl today. She's great!

Rocky Balboa: Oh yeah, really? That's wonderful.

Robert Stallone: Yeah, she's a lot—

Rocky Balboa: Yeah.

Robert Stallone: Yeah, she's a lot—

Rocky Balboa: Yeah.

Robert Stallone:—better than Sarah—

Rocky Balboa: Wait a minute, kid...kid. Don't... don't. Hey, don't change the station.

Robert Stallone: Hey—

Robert Balboa: I'll be right there back with you. I just want to tell Tommy a few things. (turns to Tommy) Hey, who... who's your best friend back in Orlando?

Tommy Gunn: Well, that's, uh... That's Oklahoma.

Rocky Balboa: Well, you know.

Tommy Gunn: Uh... Eric Kelder.

Rocky Balboa: No no no no no no, no, your best friend is a guy named Frankie Fear. You see Fear is a fighters best friend you know, it ain't nothin to be ashamed of, you see Fear keeps you sharp, it keeps you awake, you know what I mean? It makes you want to survive, you know what I mean? But the thing is, you gotta learn how to control it, all right? 'Cause Fear is like this fire all right? And it's burning deep inside. Now if you control it, Tommy, it's gonna make you hot! Or if you see if this thing here controls you... it's going to burn you and everything around you up. That's right.

(To be continued...)

A/N: Oh man, it's been forever since I last updated this collection, but I came across this scene from Rocky V a few minutes ago, and it's an incredibly complex scene that takes place in less than a minute between three characters, in which the mentor figure (Rocky) favors one pupil (Tommy) over the other pupil that happens to be his own son (Sage). This favoring characterizes all three in the scene at the same time, which adds complexity to the Rocky's straightforward advice.