1961

April 32nd, 1961.

I found him. The ring had burned itself into my finger quite some years ago, and I'd finally found him.

He sat in the little pub in downtown Nashville, drinking a whiskey. I sat down at the bar.

"This seat taken?" I asked.

He shook his head. I took a moment to examine his new form. It was perfect to me. He always was.

"What's your name?"

"William. William McLoughlin."

McLoughlin. It was always McLoughlin. "Mark Fischbach. Nice to meet you."

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"No no. I'm alright." I said. I didn't want him to waste his money. He didn't look like he had much.

"Alright."

"You have a family?" I asked.

"No. It's just me." William responded with a sigh. "Wait, are you part Korean?"

"Yeah. And German." I tensed, wondering how he would take that information given the current events. He shrugged.

"Cool. You know, you're pretty good looking. Must get plenty of girls."

"Not into girls."

He looked up. "You're a homosexual?"

"Yeah." Oh no. If he was homophobic...

"Me too." William laughed.

Thank God. Okay. This was good. This was so far so good.

"I should go. Before the drafters start to come around." He said.

"Alright. But you're drunk. Let me drive you home."

"I uh... I don't I don't have one." He stumbled getting up, and I caught him in my arms.

"You don't have a home?"

"Landlord evicted me. Said he couldn't rent to cocksuckers."

"Come with me." I offered. Please say yes. Please say yes.

"No, I don't want to intrude." William refused.

"Please? I bet you you've been a little lonely for a while huh? Well so have I. I could help you feel less lonely...?

"Fine." He nodded, a spark of lust coming into his eyes when I mentioned some activities we could engage in with one another.

I put my arm around his waist, and another on his shoulder to steady him as he swayed. "Come on. I've got a motorcycle just out front.

We got out, and I sat down, straddling my bike. "Get on behind me and hold on tight."

William did as he was told, and wrapped his arms around me.

I sped off, and we soon arrived at my house.

"Nice place. You haven't been evicted?" William asked.

"No. It was my parents house, and they turned it over to me before they died. Fully paid for. I got lucky. And uh, stay as long as you like."

He looked taken aback, blushing. "Really?"

"Yeah."

He leaned in, for a kiss, and I pushed him away. His face fell. "I'm sorry I shouldn't have done that. I-"

"Not out on the open street. Let's go inside." I took his hand and pulled him to the door.

As soon as it closed behind us, his lips were on mine, and he tore at my clothes, undoing my jacket. I slid his shirt off his head, and put my hands on his back. He cried out in pain. Bruises flowered over his back and ribs, ugly purple stains on his beautiful body.

"William what happened to you?"

"I got beat up, and forced out of my apartment..." His eyes fell to the floor.

"Will, look at me."

He looked up hesitantly, as if he expected me to hit him too. I raised my hand to his cheek, and he flinched. "Will, I'm not going to hurt you... I won't ever hurt you. You're safe here."

He hugged me, crying softly.

"Come on. William... let's go to bed." He led me lead him to the bedroom, and I undid his jeans, sliding them to the floor. "Lay down."

He did. I took off my own clothes except my underwear, and laid down next to him.

He snuggled into my arms, tracing a finger over my chest. I remember the last time he did that... Last century...

"Hey, I know we've only just met, but I really like you." I said. If he only knew...

"I like you too Mark."

Oh god... the way he said my name brought tears to my eyes. I hadn't heard that sweet voice say that one word for so long...

I had to ask. "Will you be my boyfriend? Will you go out with me tomorrow? I know a nice little restaurant down the-"

He shut me up with a kiss. "Yes."