1980

May 13th, 1980

He'd been Reborn, and he was eight. I watched him from the corner store across the street as he ran around a recess. I did this every day. I wanted to go up to him and meet him so badly. He would grow up to be the man I would love, and end my pain. But him seeing me like this now, and looking the same decades from now... that would scare him. I couldn't.

School got out, and he crossed the road without looking on his way home. I had no choice. A car screamed down the street, and I leaped, pulling him out of the way.

"Are you okay?" I asked. My arm was broken, I was sure. But I'd be fine.

"Y-yeah.... I've seen you. Watching me. Why?"

"You remind me of someone I used to know. Can I walk you home?"

"My ma sys not to talk to strangers."

"My name's Mark Fischbach. What's your name?"

"Daniel McLoughlin."

"There." I shook his hand. "Now we aren't strangers anymore."

"Okay." We walked to his home. And he told me about himself.

"Daniel! Come inside? Who is this?" His mother yelled at him when I got to the front steps.

"This is Mr. Fischbach, ma."

"Please. Call me Mark." I said, shaking her hand.

"Why are you talking to my son?"

"Mark pulled me out of the way of a car on my way home."

"Daniel! Are you alright?"

"Yeah ma, I'm fine. I think Mark broke his arm though. I gotta go. I have homework. Thank you for saving me." He hugged me, and I hugged him with my good arm.

"Let me drive you to the hospital." His mother said.

"I'll be alright. It's a short walk." I said, shaking her hand again.

"And thank you for saving my son."

"It was nothing ma'am."

"Those rings on your finger, my son has one just like them. It was his birthmark."

"Huh. I hadn't noticed." Liar liar.

"Well if you're sure you don't want a ride..."

"I'll be alright ma'am. Thank you for the offer." I waved good bye, as I walked off the porch.

Five years later, his house burned down. There were no survivors.