Chapter Eleven

Bruce never came, but Rhodey came home. I was leaving tomorrow, but today I was watching Tony help Rhodey walk in the legs he had made him. I took a picture. This was one of the better sides of human nature, and it was beautiful. Tears pricked my eyes as I watched them slowly make their way along the rail, arms around each other.
I cringed as Rhodey fell. Tony tried to help him up, but he refused the assistance. Rhodey got back up, and I walked over, just as a mailman came to the window. "Are you Tony Stank?" He yelled.
"Yes, this is Tony Stank." Rhodey pointed at him, laughing. "You're in the right place." I slipped my arm around Rhodey as he turned around. Tony looked like he regretted life as he walked towards the door, but in actuality, he was just grateful Rhodey was still here with his jokes.
"You'll take care of him while I'm gone?" I asked as we moved slowly.
"Of course. I'm always taking care of ol' Mr. Stank." Rhodey grinned.
"If you call me Mrs. Stank..."
"Never. I respect women." He grinned over at me.
I smiled. I love him.

I had said goodbye to Rhodey the night before, since I was leaving early in the morning. Tony insisted upon flying me there himself, so he got up when I got up. He made breakfast while I showered, and then he trailed after me like a lost puppy as I grabbed a few last-minute items, not that I needed much.
"Are you sure you don't need more shots?" He asked again.
"Yes, Tony, I'm fine."
"Are you sure you'll be okay?" I asked in the plane.
"Yeah, I'll be fine."
"Call Bruce, okay? Don't let him be alone either." I reminded him.
"You're going to be alone."
"I'll be with plenty of other people."
"Strangers."
"They're only strangers to you, not to me. Why don't you come meet them, at least? They'd love that."
"I've gotta get back to Rhodes.."
"He's a big boy. He'll be okay."
"The longer I stay with you, the less I'm gonna want to leave."
"You can stay for a bit, then I'll bitch to you until you're running."
He laughed. "If only it were that easy."
"I'm a big girl. I can take care of myself."
"Yeah, but you're sane."
"So are you."
"Yeah, because you're around."
"I'm going for a week, Tony." I snapped. "A week. You'll be freaking fine for a week, for God's sake. Be mature."
He didn't say anything, but neither did I.
"You're lucky there aren't parking decks in the air or I would pull this thing over." He said angrily.
"I love you, Tony, I really do. But I'm not your sole reason for living."
"I beg to differ. If you suffered as I do--"
"Tony, I know you're not cold. That's how you play yourself off to be, but you're not like that. This would all be easier for you if you didn't bottle everything up all the time. Showing emotion isn't always bad."
"Maybe I would if anybody else cared."
"They do, Tony."
"You do. You can't speak for everyone else."
"I can too. We're family. That's what family does. They care about each other."
"I'm flying a plane here. Don't distract the driver."
I stopped talking.

"Are you sure you want to go?" He asked as we landed.
"I'm positive."
"I'm gonna miss you."
"I'll miss you too. Why don't you come visit for a while?"
"I need to get back."
"Okay, if you insist. I'll see you later, okay?"
"Okay." He didn't look at me.
I kissed his cheek, but he turned his head to kiss my lips. "Are you sure you don't want to come?"
"I need to get back." He pulled me down onto his lap, gently pulling my head down and kissing me.
"Do you not feel the least bit bad going home to your mansions and big, comfy beds when these people don't have food to eat, most of the time?"
"I do. I donate to a lot of charities."
"Whatever. Bye, Tony. See you later." I started to stand, but he pulled me back down. "Tony, I need to go. You need to get back, remember?"
"I love you. A lot."
"I love you too, baby." I kissed his head.
He wrapped his arms around my waist, dropping his head onto my shoulder. "You realize that I have severe anxiety, correct? And you're going to let me fly a plane by myself?"
"Yes, I'm aware you do. But you won't fly it if you're freaking out, now will you?"
"Gotta get home somehow."
I pulled his chin up to make him face me. "You're okay, Tony. Go home and tinker with your stuff, and I'll be home before you know it."
"It's hard to let your lifeline walk away."
"Are you trying to get me to stay?"
"No. I'm just trying to procrastinate your leaving."
"I have to go, Tony." I stood up. "I love you."
"Yeah, you too." He watched me walk out, and I watched him fly away.