Chapter 19

Joe Cotter

Cotter and Billy had rented a car—not quite as suitable for their needs as a van, but the budget on this job was getting tighter by the moment. They chose a bland gray midsized vehicle—not anything too cop-like, but not too showy either.

As Cotter eased the car into a tight parking spot down the street from Liz's place, he wondered if a compact car would have been the wiser choice.

But he managed to back into the spot with little fuss, not even bumping the curb. With a satisfied sigh, Cotter said, "Now we wait."

Billy nodded amiably. Both men stared down the street toward Liz's building.

They were prepared for the long haul. They'd bought sandwiches for lunch and plenty of bottled water.

Hours ticked by. By quarter past noon, Cotter decided it was time for lunch. He dug into a sandwich. Billy followed suit.

Between bites, Cotter pulled out his cell phone and dialed a number.

At the other end, his client said, "Yes?"

"Just to let you know, no movement. In or out."

"Okay, thanks."

Cotter closed his phone and finished his sandwich in three bites.

"Surveillance sucks," Billy grumbled.

"Tell me about it."

"She's bound to stay in there all day. What with the news and all."

Cotter nodded. "Probably. Question is, who'll try to come to her?"

Billy grunted assent. Cotter felt like his eyes might cross if he had to stare at the building much longer. Both men jolted when Jessica emerged and scurried down the front steps. Cotter could tell it was her, though she wore a pair of dark glasses and a floppy hat. She nibbled on a snack as she walked, head bowed, but swiveling now and then, as if to check her surroundings.

Cotter weighed the possibilities. She could be taking the subway or cab. Or she could be walking. The safest alternative for a fugitive seemed to be cab.

She had passed them going down the opposite side of the street, when he started the car.

"Won't she notice us?" Billy said.

"Not if we take it slow. And careful."

"I thought that's what we were doing before."

Cotter gave him a hard look. "This time, we'll do it better."