Chapter 35

Joe Cotter

Billy returned with coffee and sandwiches for the two of them. Cotter took his cup and sipped the hot brew.

"They've moved to the alley," he told Billy. He'd first spotted the bluish-gray compact due to its severely dented rear fender. He could have sworn he'd seen a similar vehicle with that distinguishing mark at the Navy Memorial. The car had been parked down the street from the coffee shop for hours. It pulled out and rolled past the shop, then hung a right. From where they sat half a block away from the alley's entrance, Cotter could make out at least three people in the car.

Jessica left the coffee shop and proceeded toward them. Cotter jolted to alert.

He saw Jessica stop and look to her right. Then she moved into the alley, out of view.

"It's on," he said, starting the car.

Billy grinned. "All right!"

Cotter shot him an exasperated look. Could this kid possibly be as naïve as he seemed? Cotter shook his head, then checked traffic before pulling away from the curb and moving toward the alley. He edged into the intersection, looked for the car and caught the sight of the compact's taillights, glowing in the shadows.

Cotter swung a hard left to follow—at a distance.

Billy's phone rang. He checked the caller ID. "It's just my mom."

"Okay, whatever." Cotter focused on the car ahead and not getting too close.

Billy answered. "Hey, Mom. . . . Yeah. . . . Yeah, yeah. We're fine. . . . Mom, I gotta go, okay? See you later."

As Billy closed the phone, Cotter glanced over. The hint of a smile played on the young man's lips.

At the alley's end, the bluish car turned right. Cotter hastened to catch up. He reached the intersection, looked right and saw the car stopped at a red light.

Cotter used the moment to snatch Billy's phone from his hands. As Billy sputtered, Cotter checked the last call received. A private number.

"Billy, how did you know it was your moth—?" Cotter's question was cut off by a right uppercut to the chin.