Four

There's a loud ringing in my ears. As it fades, I can hear Doctor Sue from somewhere above me. She sounds frantic. I can't understand her but I hold my hand up and wave it to let her know I'm still in the land of the living.

"Oh thank God," I hear her say. "Is it possible to-" she starts before the audio stops.

I sit up, rub my neck and take a look at Bob.

"Just take your time," Doctor Sue comes back. "There's a cottage to your right in the woods. You need to try to get there when you think you can."

It occurs to me that she's not seeing me through Bob anymore. I look around for cameras but don't see any. I know they have to be there somewhere.

Bob's eyes are pitch black. He is so still. He won't be getting back up, I think. My breath catches in my throat as I realize this is my entire fault. I just destroyed the only real friend I have in this place-the rock that anchored me in this new reality I've found myself. I don't want to cry here with everyone watching so I hold back my tears and get to my feet. I'm a little dizzy and my legs feel wobbly.

"Easy," Doctor Sue coaxes.

This irritates me. I think it's because everyone can see me and I can't see them. But it's not only that. I want some privacy and know that as long as I'm here there will be none. I snap and try to shout that I'm fine but nothing comes out except a choking sound and then coughing.

"You need to slow down!" Doctor Sue scolds. She sounds as irritated as I am.

I nod that I understand. She's right about slowing down. I try not to blame her for what is happening, not just with Bob, but with everything in my life. I try to focus on my new surroundings.

To call this place a vault seems odd. There are tall walls stretching skyward that appear to surround the outside environment. I can't tell where they end because a thick forest blocks my view beyond a certain point. I notice some of the trees along the top of the wall have lights mounted on their trunks or branches. They look like stadium lights. A field of tall grass sways in the wind. There's a stone path that cuts through the grass towards the forest. I look at the vault door standing ajar and go to close it.

"Don't worry about that. Doctor Hudson is on his way with a team to get Bob. Go ahead and make your way to the cottage," she says. "We need to limit the environment's exposure to radiation."

I nod, my throat raw and fiery hot.

"That's a girl," Doctor Sue says kindly.

I make my way along the stone path towards the forest and my dizziness subsides. The forest is green and thick with plants and colorful flowers. The ringing in my ears has completely abated and I begin to hear birdsong around me. I've never seen or heard anything like it-at least I don't think I have. Maybe in books or movies, but definitely not in real life. After a couple minutes I emerge from the trees into a clearing and see this so-called cottage. It looks like something out of a fairytale. The walls are made of giant stones and mortar. French doors on an upper balcony stand ajar, curtains fluttering ghostly in the warm breeze. Ivy has wrapped itself around the stone pillars of the front porch and made its way along the left corner of the cottage. Butterflies and hummingbirds dance among flowers. I stop in my tracks, knowing that my jaw must be hanging open.

"Go on," Doctor Sue laughs. "Unless you'd like to go back to your old room?"

I assume she can see my face on a camera somewhere and I shake my head. I give a look that says, Are you crazy? The path leads across an arched bridge that spans a small stream flowing northward. I linger for a moment on the bridge, listening to the gurgling water as it rushes along its rocky bed. Doctor Sue doesn't object right away. "Okay," she finally says and I know it's time to get moving.