Eleven

I expect repercussions to follow when Kingshire shows up on my doorstep with a box of junk. Surprisingly however, he has a knowing look on his face as we sit down at the dining room table. When I start to apologize, he holds his hand up and says it isn't necessary.

"The problem with JD is not that he's half-brained but that he has a brain and a half." So Kingshire was watching us, I think as he continues. "His intelligence has made him antisocial, arrogant and overbearing. To put it plainly, he deserved everything he got," Kingshire says.

We both laugh. "I guarantee that won't happen tomorrow," he continues.

I think about how things started off and it leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth. "Isn't there someone else who can do this? Why can't you teach me karate?"

"Aikido takes advantage of your opponent's momentum. It's about redirecting the force of your attacker as opposed to facing it head on. Very little strength is required to become proficient at it."

"So," I frown, "because I'm a girl and I'm weak I get to learn the martial art that requires very little strength?"

Kingshire looks at me, exasperated. "Stop overanalyzing this, Hannah. If I had the time, I'd be happy to teach you karate. As it is, I have assassinations to plan and governments to overthrow." He smiles, saying this like it's a joke. "JD has the time to dedicate to this project, although I'm sure he will tell you different."

"He already has," I mumble.

Kingshire takes a deep breath. "Listen, this isn't about becoming an expert at aikido verses karate. It's about you learning to tune in to the energy that lies within you. It's about learning to control it. Do you think I'm going to let you go on a mission if you can't? If someone comes up behind you, wouldn't you like to know for sure that you'll be able to stop them?"

I sit a bit taller. "Of course. I just don't want to be treated like a helpless little girl."

"I understand that. And you may not unlock anything by learning a martial art. It's just a hunch I have. At the very least, these techniques will give you the ability to take someone down who grabs you from behind even if you can't shock them. Since JD already knows aikido and has the time to teach you, it only makes sense that he is the best candidate for the job, Hannah."

I sigh, not sure if I believe him but ready to move on. I eye the box that Kingshire has placed on the table. "What's this?"

"Samurai swords," he says.

I take a look inside the box and sort through the items. One bar of soap, a box of rubber bands, paper clips, a bag of marbles, a porcelain coffee cup, a dirty rock, a small wooden box, and last but not least, a bottle of Elmer's Glue.

"I think if you spend a few hours a day transmogrifying objects, it should bring your radiation levels back down to normal after three or four days. Meet me in the Safe Room at 8 am. Sound good?" he asks, standing up.

"Sure, Mr. Kingshire."

"Then I will take my leave. Good day, Hannah." He sounds so formal. He actually nods at me.

"Good day, sir." I'm pretty sure I've never uttered such a phrase before in my life. I watch him leave and quickly turn my attention to the box on the table. I am actually curious about what I might find when I shift my focus. I don't waste any time and take another peek inside the box.

What I find is quite interesting. There are several possible outcomes. There is one possibility that interests me, and it feels like I'm being pulled toward it. Some sort of weightless object. What in the world?

I connect two symbols, discarding the equations that are meaningless to me. Like before with the samurai sword, a pale-lit empty halo for this new object materializes before me. This time the shape is much different. It's spherical, about the size of volleyball. As I work out the puzzle of this new object and add more threads and symbols, the halo flattens and constricts into a disc. Time passes, so much so that I notice it's getting dark outside even though I'm focused on the lights. Time is different for me when I shift focus and work with the threads. I don't know why. It's as if it slows down.

I'm almost finished. I'm not sure what I'm creating, but I'm almost done and I'm not stopping till I am. Last thread of blue light. I take it from the glue and inspect it closely. This is it. After toiling with this strand for a bit, I'm finally ready. I plug it in and stand back.

Like last time, I hear the sound of air being sucked away and then a loud crack. But instead of something clanking to the floor as before with the samurai sword, a strange disk-like object is hovering before me within arms reach.

"Holy crap."

I shift focus and stand to get a better look at this thing. What the heck? It is like a discus thrown by athletes in track and field, yet it is hollow at the center like a doughnut. Why is it floating? Whatever material it is made out of is black as night. I get this irresistible urge to touch it. Who wouldn't? When I wrap my fingers around the disk and take hold of it, I feel a strange sensation wash over me as my feet leave the ground. I'm so startled by this that I wave my arms frantically to try to steady myself. I think I may have squeaked. I let go and tumble back onto the couch, staring in disbelief at my creation. "No. Way." The uneasiness I felt passes as I realize there's little danger of floating out an open window and into outer space. I feel a broad smile spread across my face. Then I steel my nerve and decide to test drive this...thing I've created.

I can't tell you how long I did somersaults around the room and giggled like a little kid on an amusement park ride. When I finish playing around, I relax and clear my mind. I lose myself in this weightless freedom. It's hypnotic and meditative, and at some point I doze off, still clutching the disc.