Thirty-six

I do most the talking, but JD helps fill in some of my story from his perspective. JD also explains his stance on turning Doctor Sue over to Kingshire. Mr. Woodson apparently thinks he was right to do so under the circumstances. When we're finished, Mr. Woodson is left shaking his head in disbelief.

"Hannah," he says sincerely. "And JD," he shakes his head again. "I'm so sorry for everything you've been through. We had no idea about the implants or that Kingshire had that kind of stranglehold on his employees. The technology you're talking about here is..." he seems to search for the right words, "mind-blowing."

JD clears his throat. "What about this biotag you say Doctor Sue has? It's pretty impressive. I was in charge of communications and technology for Kingshire and we scan new employees for chips. We didn't find anything."

"The chip employs nanotechnology of an organic kind. It wouldn't show up unless you knew what you were looking for. It works with the body's chemistry to produce enough current to send a low level signal that piggybacks off any available network. We started using them about three years ago to keep track of our agents...at first, without their knowledge," he allows. "Suzanne and I were among some of the first to get one. That policy has changed since then, the government apparently realizing the slippery slope it was walking. But it's still light years behind what Kingshire has done," he acknowledges, almost reverently.

I don't like his tone nor do I like the fact that they were implanting people without their knowledge. It doesn't seem much different than what Kingshire did to me. Mr. Woodson seems to read this in my eyes.

"It was a mistake, Hannah, not to tell agents about the chips. True, the biotag is mandatory for the all the program's agents, but they still have a choice. They would just have to find other employment if they choose not to get it."

I'm not going to argue with him about the ethics of the government. I don't even know exactly what kind of agent he is. Then I suddenly remember Mr. Cardozo. "Sir," I say, changing tack. "I couldn't have made it here without the help of a man by the name of Rafael Cardozo. He's from Brazil and was arrested by Guyanese police officers because of me. I was hoping you could help him get home."

Mr. Woodson nods. "I'll see what I can do. We have a pretty good relationship with the Guyanese officials. Let me do some checking and see what I can find out. Rafael Cardozo, right?" He reaches for a pen and a piece of paper.

"Yes." I feel relief wash over me. "Oh, and let him know that his truck is at Joe Veira Park."

"I can't make any promises, but I'll see what I can do." He smiles for the first time. "I'm going to have Daisy fix you guys up with a place to rest, alright?"

JD and I both nod our appreciation.

"Meanwhile, I'll check into Mr. Cardozo's situation and see if there's any retrievable data on this GPS." Mr. Woodson picks up the phone and calls for his secretary who opens the door to the office seconds later. "Daisy, can you show our guests the way to a cot?"

Daisy is tall, blonde and beautiful. JD does a double take and I elbow him in the ribs. "Right this way," she smiles. She leads us down the hallway to an open room with five empty cots set up inside. "Don't be wandering around the embassy," she warns. "If you need something, pick up the phone and dial 11 and I'll get it for you. There's a soda machine and a food machine down the hall. Do you guys want anything before I get back to work?"

"I do," JD pipes up, raising his hand like he knows the answer to a teacher's question.

"I'll bet," I mumble as I take up residence on the nearest cot.

"How about you?" Daisy asks.

"I'm fine," I answer. "Better keep your eye on him," I recommend, nodding my head toward JD.