Eighteen

Later that morning, I wake up in the Safe Room.  I've been patched up again by Doctor Fish.  He is standing over me with his arms crossed.  He doesn't look happy.

"How much trouble am I in?" I ask, biting my lip.

"With Mr. Kingshire or with me?"

This sets me at ease.  His tone implies that I'm in trouble with neither.

"I don't suppose you're to blame for any of this," he finally gives me a smile.  "But for God's sake, if you're going to fight, protect your face from now on."

I laugh a little.  "How's Mr. Kinghsire?" I ask.

"A little singed but otherwise fine," Doctor Fish assures.  "As a matter of fact, I think he's better than fine.  He's absolutely thrilled with your progress."

"I guess that's good," I say.  For a split second, before the guard had hit me over the head, I'd thought I'd killed him.  Now I'm sorry I didn't.  I mean, if Kingshire was dead, the implants wouldn't be a threat, right?

"Anyway," Doctor Fish says, swinging the door to the Safe Room wide, "you know the drill about your nose.  No pain meds this time.  Take it easy and if you need anything, David's around.  Mr. Kingshire will probably be by to see you in the morning.  I know he's anxious to talk to you."  He gives me a smile and then walks through the door.

"Got it.  Thanks, Doctor Fish."

"Don't mention it," he calls over his shoulder.

I feel pretty tired and doze for awhile.  I don't get up until around noon and when I do I find David watching a movie on the TV in the living room.  He is in tears.

"Hey, are you alright?"

I startle him and he quickly pauses the movie and wipes at his amber eyes.  "Hannah.  Sorry...uh...are you okay?" he fumbles.  "Do you need something?"

"I'm fine." I give him a half smile.  "Are you?"  He's younger than I realized, boyish looking even.  He's very tall with dark skin.  There is an honesty reflected in his eyes that I hadn't noticed the first time we met.

"Sure thing."  He looks a little embarrassed as he clicks off the TV.  "What a stupid movie."

"I don't think so."  I eye him suspiciously.

"Okay, you got me," he admits, taking a deep breath.  "The father in it reminds me of mine, er...of our relationship anyway."

"How so?" I ask, taking a step closer.

David scratches his head and thinks for a moment.  "Let's see, our relationship.  It's nonexistent, most the time.  I get to see him sometimes on the weekends and holidays if I'm lucky.  I fly in from...er...never mind," he shakes his head.  "I'm not supposed to discuss my personal life with employees.  I always forget that.  I'm no good at keeping secrets," he confesses.

I didn't realize I was an "employee" already, but I don't bother asking him why he isn't suppose to discuss his personal life because I think I know why.  I suddenly see the resemblance and know who his father is.  "Your dad is Doctor Fish," I announce.

He nods.  "Is it that obvious?"

"You have your dad's amazing eyes.  You're a lot taller though." I tilt my head slightly.  "And younger than I thought," I add.  And cuter, and...what is wrong with me?  I'm smiling at him but why does my face hurt?  Oh yeah, my broken nose, I remember.  I imagine what I must look like and feel my face flush.  "So...um...are you a doctor, too?"  I turn away from him and look at my reflection in the mirror above the fireplace.  I fuss with my hair while I inspect the damage to my nose.  Did it look this bad the last time?  I can't remember.