Chapter Eleven

Even with only being at camp for a few days, I would've gotten used to things being out of the ordinary but I was totally bot prepared for Lucy's hands to light on fire. I stared at her hands and I must've had an alarmed look on my face because Lucy laughed.

     "Child of Hephaestus." She said it like it was supposed to clear everything up for me. I nodded and we picked up the pace when another scream pierced the air. "This thing's gotta pair of lungs, huh?" Annabeth put her finger to her lips and motioned to Lucy to lead so we could at least see where we were going. A short walk through the forest, at night, with screams every few minutes. Fun right? I could've handled just that but the sounds of monsters roaming around sleeplessly? Not as easy. Every noise I heard felt like a nearby monster that would attack us from behind. Not to mention it was pretty freezing away from the campfire. We followed the screaming to a dark clearing with a single beam of moonlight directly in the center of it. Lucy's flame went out leaving us in the dark.

     "Lucy!" Annabeth hissed, holding her knife at the ready.

     "I didn't put my flame out." Lucy tried to get her hands to light up in flames again but no fire appeared. She glared at her hands like they had insulted her mother. Mavis was being oddly quiet it was like she wasn't there. I turned around to look for her. The reason she'd seemed like she wasn't there was because she wasn't.

     "Mavis!" I tried to be as quiet as possible but it wasn't enough. The beam of moonlight turned blood red. Mavis was standing in the middle of it, a knife in her stomach. I saw a flash of red in the edge of the clearing. "There." I gestured with my elbow and Lucy and Annabeth turned quickly to face where I had gestured. Then the whole clearing lit up the evil red. Standing before us was a teenage guy. He was tan with dark hair and green eyes. Standing in front of us was Percy Jackson.