Chapter LookI'mBack 6

After that rock climbing activity we had a few boring ice breaking activities.

After that we had lunch. Since there was a limited number of canteen tables, the girls sat together in one row while the guys in another row beside us.

Jordan was sitting with the instructors. I could not help but notice that he wasn't really talking to the others.

"Hey," Clair nudged me to stop me from staring at him, "It's time to collect our food."

I went forward to queue up with the others. I held out my bowl to let the instructor give me the food. I didn't notice what he gave me because I was still staring at Jordan.

It was only when I returned to the table when I noticed my lunch. Pasta with a few sausages, not bad. The portion, however, was pathetic.

Clair joined me a minute later. Most of the girls were now back at the table. I was absentmindedly chewing on a piece of sausage, still staring at Jordan.

She looked at what I was staring at and commented, "Those instructors are some lucky ducks."

"Yes. But I have a feeling Jordan is quite lonely. He isn't talking to the other instructors." Poor thing. But I couldn't do much about it. I'm not brave enough to head to their table, so I had no choice but to quietly eat my food. The rest of the table was silent, the only noise came from the clinging of cutlery.

While eating I saw a guy heading towards our table. He then said, "If you are a fangirl raise up your hand."

We looked at each other in confusion. Why would he want to know how many fangirls there are? The girl beside me immediately shot her hand up in the air. Upon seeing this, the others slowly raised up their hand too. No one had their hand down.

"No wonder, why didn't I expect that?" He then went back to his table.

Immediately after that, the whole table burst into chatter. It was loud enough for Jordan, the guys and the instructors to turn their heads and stare at our table.

"Oh my god you are a fangirl too?"

"I came to see Jordan, of course."

"I came with my cousin, he's over there."

"Why didn't you sit with him then?"

"Because he wanted to make new friends."

"Seriously we could be best friends by now."

"I know right."

The girl beside me remained silent as she looked down at her food.

I asked her, "Soooooo..... What's your name?"

She looked up at me, "Diana."

"Oh uh hi." I said. I make a bad conversation starter.

"How did you join this camp?" she asked.

"Well," I looked at Clair, who was busy chatting with the girl beside her, "Her membership of some club got us the seat."

"Same. And I thought it was useless, until that letter arrived." she laughed, "I bet everyone got in by the membership."

We laughed a little then continued eating our food in silence. We didn't really have anything to say.

Lunch hour was almost over, we still had to clean our cutlery.

"So urm, have you ever met Jordan before this camp?" I asked as I was done scrubbing the stuck pasta off my bowl at the sink.

She nodded, "Yes. I saw him in a crowd once, however I couldn't approach him." She was standing beside me, busy rinsing the soap off her plate.

"Lucky you, this is my first time."

"You are lucky too, you know. You get to camp with him."

"We," I corrected.

"Yes but still...." she trailed off and her eyes widened. She was staring at the person behind me.

I turned to find Jordan, on one hand was his fork and spoon, the other his dirty plate, queuing up behind me. I scrubbed my fork faster, splashing water on my shirt at the same time.

"Oh I'm sorry, please don't rush. You can take your time." He used one hand to pat me on the shoulder. I froze. Then, slowly, I started scrubbing my fork again. I think I have been cleaning that for five minutes already.

Diana giggled, then left the sink for Jordan to take her place. She waved at Jordan as she left and he waved back.

Jordan was now mere centimeters away from me. Too near for me to handle all at once. In these kind of situations, I would freak out. I took the spoon and vigorously scrubbed it with a sponge until it was squeaky clean. My head was down, trying not to have eye contact.

Chill Emily. Chill. I told myself.

"Are you okay? You look very tense Emily." he asked with concern.

When I heard him saying my name I went full-panic. I picked up my cutlery, looked at him in the eyes and said, "Yesthankyougoodbyeandseeyouinthenextactivity." Then I ran off as fast as I could.

Diana blocked my path, "How was it?"

"Disastrous. Now excuse me I need to calm myself down. Thank you." I flew straight past her and almost crashed into Clair.

"Whoa slow down Emi. Why are you in a rush? You still have 10 minutes to go before lunch en-"

I interrupted her, "No it's not because of that. I.... Jordan..... Talked...." I couldn't phrase it properly.

"You talked to Jordan?" Clair got excited. I was too panicky to correct her. "You can tell me all about it later, after you calm down, of course." She wrapped an arm around me.

In the distance, I could see Jordan walking away from the sink. He was looking straight at me.

Okay hi. You have been waiting a long time for this and now your patience is rewarded. Congrats!