Chapter 24 (e)

Brazilian by birth, Diaz had never been to Quantico and rarely on the U.S. east coast. He much preferred South and Central America as well as the Caribbean as his bailiwick. Even before Gaulle met him, he'd been an assassin. It was only those who knew what to look for who realized just how prolific he was. Most of the deaths had been ruled accidental.

Gaulle had reached out to Diaz in Sao Paulo and the man had been truly surprised he'd been identified along with an extensive but not complete list of murders. No threats were issued but a financial arrangement was made and an understanding reached. Afterward, Diaz answered only to him.

The ship was still on an elevated security but people were able to move about the ship. There was no joy in it though. People were grim faced. They had accepted the explanation that the phenomena that killed people originated from the Black Adder Cloud and that the danger was over for now. Everyone knew they were beyond the halfway point between Arcturus and Hawks and that communication would remain down until within hours of HawksTerminal. The casino and public areas were open but a hush had settled in on the ship.

Diaz had taken a seat on the observation deck which was immediately below and a few sections behind the bridge area. It was the highest point passengers could go on the ship and had an arched clear window offering the best views on the ship. Seats were arranged in clusters and the large room had the feel of a library. Unsurprisingly, many people came here just to while away the time alone or in small groups of twos or threes.

Gaulle had no problem picking Diaz out. Dark eyed and dark haired, tall and toned but dressed in casual business attire. He looked to be deeply involved in a novel but there was no doubt he knew every move of every person on the observation deck. Despite facing away, he used the glass arch reflections to watch all.

Taking a seat facing the other direction, Gaulleo pened his own padd and looked like he was dictating a message. It was not uncommon to see people who appeared to be talking to themselves who were either on a call or communicating aloud with their internal AI.

Diaz was the first to speak. "This was supposed to be a quiet flight," he said.

"The reason it isn't is because Orion Ruskovich is aboard," replied Gaulle. "Aubrey Chase Chen and Alexander Singh are both dead as a result."

This garnered a flicker of reaction. "She's alive? How?"

"I don't know," said Gaulle. "I assume she apported to safety."

"Where?" questioned Diaz. "I opened the airlock. She should be dead."

"Unlike Goroshenko, she appears to be able to be able to apport instantaneously," Gaulle stated.

"That is far greater powers than I was led to believe," said Diaz.

"I know," said Gaulle. "For all of us."

Diaz had been Gaulle's triggerman. Aubrey Chase Chen, Adjani, Adisa and even Goroshenko had been tracking Orion while the Brazilian hitman lay in wait. None knew of his presence and he stayed in the shadows. His orders were if he saw an opportunity to kill the girl. That time had come when she was appeared to be trapped in an airlock with no escape.

It would have been possible to use his telekinetic ability and stop her heart or choke her or but Diaz saw the possibility of making it look like a suicide. He used his talent to open the outside airlock door. Even Gaulle was uncertain who opened the door: Orion or Diaz until he told him. All in all, it was rather shocking that she was still alive.

"What do you want from me now?" asked Diaz.

"The same mission you had before," said Gaulle. "To keep in the background and this time make sure Orion Ruskovich is dead."

Diaz stood up to leave. He brushed himself down. Not once had he turned to look At Gaulle behind him. "I might not be as easy to stay in the background this time."

Gaulle raised an eyebrow. "How so?"

"The girl knows someone opened the airlock using psi powers," said Diaz. "None of the people chasing her had the ability to open the doors."

Gaulle saw his point. Even Aubrey Chase Chen wasn't able to master the sort of telekinetics to push a button and unlock a door.

"I will send you details in the usual way," Gaulle said.

Diaz nodded imperceptibly and left the Observation Deck.