Chapter 14 (b)

"We are already doing that?" Cutler asked?

"Miguel was down in the security office setting it up before coming here," replied Cole.

"Another addition to all of the other security video being sifted through," said Volks sighing heavily. He really didn't like complicated investigations.

"Correct," said Cole. "In this case, we have a better understanding of where to look. It's a large amount of data but it narrows things down. We want answers; we have to ask the right questions."

"Such as how someone acquired my signet?" asked Brunner.

"Exactly," said Cole. "This gives us something to go on in our refined search."

"And this might lead us to the killer of the person in the cargo hold?" captain Cutler asked.

Volks shifted uncomfortably. "I think we should let Kar Oharat shed some light on that."

If Kar Oharat was nervous, it wasn't plain in his voice. "We still have to wait for Doctor Kripisov's autopsy but initial readings indicate the man inside the container was dead some time before being loaded onto the ship. The container was opened twice aboard this ship both today."

"So... killed back at Arcturus Terminal," said the Captain.

"It would appear that prior to today that it was opened around the time it was in port," said Kar. "Still, that would be for investigators to look into."

"What do we know about the deceased?" asked Cutler.

"The uniform suggests a Blue Star worker at Arcturus but we have no way to confirm in communications blackout," said Volks. "The name was Burnside."

"I don't recognize him," said Chief Brunner. "But then there are over six thousand dock workers at the terminal for Blue Star alone."

Cutler scowled and glared at Marshal Cole. "Do you any ideas what is going on? Is there a killer loose on my ship?"

Cole was not about the shine over the captain. "Yes, there is a killer aboard. How Ms. Chen's death and the body in her container are connected is not yet known. However, what we do know that the person running around with crew ID is not infallible. They can be traced and will be traced."

"Is that all then?" Cutler asked. No one said a thing. "Alright then... get out. And try and solve this thing."

Everyone filed out and as they did Boz approached Cole and handed him a datapadd. "Sir, the passenger, crew and cargo manifests you wanted."

"Thank you, Boz," replied Cole.

"I'm not sure why you needed to see it for yourself," said Boz. "The various computers and AIs aboard the ship can do the work, find patterns and make connections."

"Yes, all that is true and I do appreciate your efforts," said Cole. "However, my experience and knowledge are different and sometimes, just sometimes, I see something where other might not."

"I see," said Boz although it was unclear that he did. "Until then, sir, I will assist Mr. Miguel in Security on getting the footage we need."

Boz left ahead of Cole and he was the last one left in the briefing room. He stole a glance at the datapadd listing passengers and one name stood out right away.

"Well, I'll be damned," Cole said to the empty room.