Prologue

Saturday 7th July 2007

The alarm blared at exactly 7:00am on top of the bedside table. The lazy still sleepy form of an eight year old moved slightly in response before the alarm ticked off again.

Andre raised his head from the pillow to check the time before hitting the snooze button. After comfortably tucking himself under the duvet, he tried to remember what made him to think of setting an alarm on a saturday, especially when he had nothing to do.

"woah!" he sat up with a start "it's my birthday". He announced a little too loudly to himself before kicking off the duvet and running to his parents room. He couldn't wait to see what beautifully wrapped bundle of love they had for him this year.

"Odd". He said to himself when he didn't find them there. Like him, they slept in late on saturdays.

He was already heading downstairs when he heard his dad yelling. "I'm so tired of living with you!"

"You've already made up your mind, so why do wanna rub it in my face?!" His mum retorted.

Andre stopped in his tracks as he poked his head through the railings and found his parents arguing.

"Look El , this -" he gestures to the house "-is not gonna work. I mean, Linda makes me happy"

"So you're gonna leave our kids, our family, all of this-" she mocks his earlier gestures "- for a slut that's got money?"

"Linda is no slut, okay?. And her money has been feeding us for the past 6 months!"

She shook her head in unbelief " You know what?, you're just a piece of shit. Screw you, screw you and you goddamn prada wearing bitch". the tears started falling but she tried to appear strong " I'm so over you, you don't mean anything to me or my kids".

" Well, about time" he deadpanned " 'cause am so outta here". he grabbed his suitcase and headed for the door.

"Dad.." Mike almost froze in his steps before turning and walking up to Andre with a little wrapped present.

"Sorry I didn't give it to you earlier. Happy birthday little man". he said before messing up his afro then turned towards the door again. After taking one good look at the house, with a sigh the door slammed shut.

Andre ran to his mum and hugged her. Elvira tried - but failed - to dry her tears. " oh honey, you really shouldn't see mummy like this. it's just-"

" i know". he replied "Oh," she felt her heart shattering into tiny more million pieces and there's was nothing she could do except pull together whatever tiny strength was left in her and make up her mind to be strong. For her kids.