Chapter 10

“What the hell is your deal?” Holly blurted out towards me. Instantly I jerked my gaze from the floor to look upon her. From the looks of her expression, she was actually relatively annoyed—at me. I knew what she was referring to…she wanted to know why I had not paid her any attention really since earlier this morning. In an attempt to explain myself, I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off by a crash coming from within my home.

No one seemed to make a motion or change the view of their eyes. For a moment we remained where we were, just ignoring the clatter we had just heard. But then another rattle broke Holly’s glare from me and as the headstrong girl she was, she stormed from the room in pursuit of the maker of the sound. I flickered my gaze to Silence who had a smug smile lining her lips—I knew she would; she fully enjoyed seeing me not act towards Holly as I would normally.

I forced my glare from her and trailed after Holly. Another object clashed to the floor, from the sounds of it, it was glass and instantly shattered into a billion pieces. Then I heard a voice—a voice I had not heard in ages.

“Meeko, reframe from doing that,” his voice rang through the air as I rounded the corner. Just as I did so, I collided with Holly’s back slightly earning me a death glare from her when she shot her eyes over her shoulder. She stood partly behind a door, just enough so that her face could peek into the other room—that was until I ran into her and the door flung open.

“Hey, there he is,” Meeko called in his boy-ish tone. I pulled my gaze from Holly to see just who I thought.

“Carson, Meeko, what is the pleasure of this rather unexpected visit?” I asked while emerging from the doorway, brushing past Holly. Carson and Meeko were unique in themselves, just as everyone else in this house. They were created by a woman known as Eva. From time to time Eva felt the need to have new ‘children’ per say and since she is an unfertile Goddess, she would bring her children to life by other means—much more unnatural ones than giving birth. She would drag fibers from the universe around her to construct the qualities of the children she would like and then with a burst of compressed energy, she would bring life to those she calls sons and daughters. Now those children are much different than normal ones—they retained some of the power that Eva used to create them and based off what fibers of the universe she used determines how they are able to use those powers.

Carson and Meeko were both immortal, Carson retained his age at twenty with perfect god like features while Meeko was only brought into life eight years ago.  Carson had been a great friend to me for a number of years and seems to have a heart of gold with an attitude of a cocky arrogant bastard at times—it evens out I suppose. Meeko was still caught in his mischievous young boy days, so not much could be said for him…  

Meeko beamed his best smile at me while glancing his smoky gray eyes to his older brother. Carson’s matching eyes were locked on me.

“Rumors,” Carson said with a smirk. He brought his full focus on Holly who I stood in front of partly in a protective manner.  “And that must be the rumor herself.”

“She’s pretty,” Meeko announced while gawking at her. Carson playfully brushed his fingers through his brother’s short dark brown hair as he glanced his eyes down to him.

“What did you expect an Angel to look like?” Carson asked with a grin. He refocused on Holly. “I’m Carson Vander, and this here would be my younger brother Meeko.” Roughly Holly brushed her way by me and walked towards the boys.

“Holly Rose,” she introduced herself. From what I could tell in her voice she had a smile lacing her lips and that glitter of life in her eyes that was even more ravishing than any other thing I had seen in my life.

“So I’ve heard it to be,” Carson commented back. “Word of an Angel travels fast—especially one that is the daughter of such known figures in our world.” His eyes ventured from Holly towards the door behind me. Silence was just emerging. His face twisted into disgust at the sight of her—they hate one another for various reasons. “You have that thing here to help teach an Angel?” He questioned me. “That is like getting a demon to train her!” Holly had now jerked herself around so she could see the both of them with the easy turn of her head.

“Excuse me?!” Silence yelled back while breaking past me and storming towards Carson. She shoulder checked Holly as she grazed too closely by her and stopped inches from Carson’s face. He towered over her at his six one height and glared with his smoky eyes at her. The short messy brown hair on his head seemed to shift about slightly as the rise in energy around him increased from Silence’s threatening tone. “You have no right to speak here! You were not even created by normal causes you disgusting creation!”

“I would watch what I said if I were you,” Carson threatened in a low voice through clinched teeth.

“Thank God you are not me then,” Silence countered. A fight was threatening to break lose at any moment and the energy levels from Carson were doubling. But then Carson did something I was not use to him doing, broke his glare from Silence and locked his eyes on Holly.

I hadn’t been oblivious to the tremors pulsing through her from the energy Carson was emitting. His eyes still raged as the grays swirled like storm clouds. But they softened instantly when he noted the frightened glint in Holly’s gaze towards him.

“I—I’m so sorry…” Carson told Holly. He pushed by Silence—who still stood in her threatening stance—and over to Holly. “I forget how sensitive Angels are to me when it comes to power wise…”

“Well, what are you that makes you so powerful…?” Holly asked with all form of fright gone from her and a sense of curiosity and wonder radiating from her.

I don’t understand why it irked me as much as it did that she was looking at him the way she was—a way similar that she looks at me—it just did. I stood back and watched as Carson pulled his best smile on her, a shiver of discomfort flowed through me when she smiled back.

“Just a boy with a little more power than he should have…” Carson said modestly. “But you, you are something special and not something that should be tampered with by the likes of just anyone.” It was obvious he was referring to Silence. He turned his gaze to me. “Victor, I want to take Silence’s place in helping prepare Holly for anything that comes her way. Silence can stay around is she wishes and just survey the area or whatever—but as far as Holly’s actual training goes…I want to be the one to help her.”

“Victor! Tell him get back where the hell he belongs and—“ Silence began to yell out her protest in his request.

“Actually, it would be a nice change in personality,” Holly said with a grin. “Shush shush, Silence. Go survey around the house.” She darted her eyes towards Silence and pulled a mocking grin to her lips.

“Fine,” Silence said sternly before storming from the room and slamming the front door shut only moments later.

“Carson, could you give us a minute?” I asked. He pulled his gaze to look at me for a short moment. He simply nodded and walked from the room, grabbing Meeko’s hand and dragging him with him. There was a short moment of silence and my eyes were locked to the ground as they had been all day.

“What?” she finally broke and asked. I took in a deep breath and turned my eyes to meet hers.

“I was told that me getting involved with you beyond your guardian was throwing my instincts off guard, so I needed to reframe from being any form of involved beyond my duties. That’s why I had been acting like I had all day.”

“Well, damn good thing this doesn’t really bother me,” she said back sternly. “I wasn’t interested in you to begin with.” Jab. Jab. Jab, that’s what I felt pinging at my heart. Truth be told, I could feel she was lying to at least some extent but even the lies hurt. “Now, was that all?”

“Yeah. Yeah that was it.”

***********

let us know what you think : ). this chapter was wrote by fantasy343