Chapter 3- "We were brothers."

Sans' POV

"We were brothers."

Papyrus froze, his mouth wide agape. His eyes were wide open, the faint brows kneaded in utter confusion. The silence was deafening.

"W-WHA...?" Papyrus choked out.

I sighed. Of course, Papyrus would be shocked to hear something like this. Suddenly blurting out that we were brothers... Haha. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything after all. I mean, what reason would he have to believe such crap as thi-

"WH- WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT...?" Papyrus shivered.

Silence.

"WHEN YOU SAID THAT WE WERE BROTHERS... IS- IS THAT... TRUE?"

I couldn't find my voice to reply. I'm too ashamed to even look at his face. His own brother just let him die by the human's hand when it could have been prevented. Too many resets had given me enough trial and errors, yet I couldn't have even stopped his downfall. I weakly nodded.

Papyrus gasped, tears welling up in his eyes. My eyes widen at his sudden outburst of air. His face was contorted of pain and sadness. His eyes couldn't hold back his attempts to stop the water streaking down his chin. I'm so pathetic. All I have done is hurt him. Now I had hurt him even more. My soul feels empty, void of hope and energy.

I suddenly felt a strong arm tackle my body. Papyrus' long arms wrapping my chest so tightly, his shoulders slump, and his skull buried under my neck. He is still crying, eyes shuttered shut.

"OH SANS...! I'M- I'M SO SORRY! I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER! I- OH I'M SO SORRY...! I'M SO SORRY-"

"Woah," I hesitantly patted his back, "Why are you apologizing? Nothings' your fault. I- It's all mine. Pl-please don't cry..."

Papyrus still has not let up on his hug, sniffling with hiccups.

"WE-WELL...! I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU HAVE BEEN H-HIDING SOMETHING SO BIG LIKE THIS...! AND I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I HAVE BEEN JUST LETTING YOU KEEP ALL OF THESE FEELINGS TO YOURSELF!" The tall skeleton cried.

"AND PLEASE DON'T BLAME YOURSELF! IF ONLY I HAVE BEEN MORE ATTENTIVE..." His grip went tighter, bone-crushing squeeze, pushing out the air I have been holding up.

"Hnnng geez Pap...! Uhh could you lighten up for a bit...?" I gasped.

"HMM..?" The angel paused. "O-OH!" The solid grasp loosening up. "O-OH SORRY SANS!" The white-winged skeleton sniffled.

I took a deep, raspy breath, taking up a few more seconds to restore my non-existent lungs.

"Whew...! And geez Pap, it's not your fault. You need to stop blaming yourself so much! You don't have to apologize to me. If anyone needs an apology, it should be you." I scratched my head, looking away from his gaze.

Papyrus tilted his head. "WHY WOULD I NEED AN APOLOGY"

I sighed. This is gonna be a while.

"Well Pap, you really needed an apology. And it's a big one too. But apologies can't bring anything back. It's unforgivable. And it's truly my fault. It's really my fault. And it's my fault for your death." I bitterly chuckled, no hint of humor being

I felt pity and confusion creep into my chest.

"WHAT- WHAT DO YOU MEAN?? MY... MY DEATH?"

Welp. I should have seen that coming.

"PLEASE SANS. TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU KNOW. JUST... NO MORE SECRETS. NO MORE." Papyrus firmly stated.

No more secrets eh...? I sighed. I knew this from the beginning. Papyrus won't really give up. I should have known that I can't delay this forever.