Chapter Six

A few hours have gone by and I've officially gotten hammered. Blurred streaks of light flash throughout the house and the booming music sounds slightly disoriented. I lean against Riley and attempt to stand myself up straight. However, I only succeed in sloshing my drink out of my cup and all over my hand. I wipe my hand on my jeans and stagger a bit to the left. Riley laughs a bit as she helps me to stand. I bet I can stand on my own, though. I swat her hand away and look at her face, which is completely unfocused. Although her expression is severely obscured, I can see a hint of confusion. I put my hand on her arm gently.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." I hiccup loudly.

"It's fine," Riley chuckles and takes my hand, giving it a tight squeeze.

"Look," I slur, stepping closer so her and I are chest to chest, "I know people have said shit about you... But you know what? I don't care! Because... Because you... You are a strong, beautiful, independent woman and you don't... You don't need anybody to tell you that! And you can love whoever the fuck you want!"

Riley laughs and shakes her head, "You are so drunk, Sutton."

"You're not taking me seriously! I am... Perfectly fine!" I hiccup again and take a quick swig from my cup.

"Slow down, you're going to get alcohol poisoning." Riley warns, reaching for my cup.

"Fuck no!" I shout, "I know my limits!" I insist as I stumble backwards and fall against the kitchen table.

Riley quickly comes to me and pulls on my arms, trying to get me upright. I feel like dead weight and I'm still guffawing like an idiot. She releases my arms and evaluates the situation for a moment before wrapping her arms around my waist and trying to stand me up. I respond by wrapping my arms around her neck and pulling her in to me. I can see her fuzzy eyes becoming slightly less cloudy, as well as her cheeks turning a light red color.

I lean in toward her ear, "You're really, really beautiful." I say quietly.

She mimics me by leaning in toward my ear and whispering, "And so are you. But you're also really, really drunk."

"Riley," I whine, "Why don't you just-just go along with it?"

"I'm not going to take advantage of a straight girl while she's drunk," She explains, letting go of me and taking a step back.

"But I'm going to." A voice says from the other side of the kitchen.

I turn to see the hazy image of a girl standing in the doorway. She looks to be at least a senior in high school. She has shoulder length blonde hair and she wears a crop top and shorts. She approaches us and Riley's expression hardens as she takes a step back toward me.

"Danica?" She growls, "Who the fuck invited you?"

"Fallon invited me, duh. Don't you know we're friends?" Danica smirks and comes even closer to us.

"Back off. Don't you have better things to do than try to fuck around with a drunk stranger?" Riley says with venom dripping from her words.

"Is that not what parties are for? Come on, Rye. She's so cute. Look at those eyes and that cute little nose! And those freckles. She's as cute as a puppy. What are you doing with a girl like this?" Danica says mockingly, brushing a hand through my hair.

"Don't," I sputter as I lean back and raise my eyebrows.

"Ah, feisty. Now I get it. You always did like them like this," She simpers and rests a hand on the counter top.

"Get lost already, Danica. She's with me." Riley warns.

"Oh, so she is yours?" Her grin is as twisted as ever, "Prove it, then."