Chapter Thirteen

I shift in my seat nervously, waiting for Sutton to arrive. She's never late to anything. I look around and crane my neck back to the entrance when I hear the door open. I blow out a breath of relief, but the feeling quickly subsides when I remember why we're here. Sutton sees me and walks over, sitting down across from me. Her eyes are red and puffy and she looks distraught. Her hair, which is usually very presentable, is in a sloppy ponytail. She wears a pair of black leggings and a blue Pink hoodie. I open my mouth, but I'm cut off by the waitress asking what we'd like to drink. She takes note of our choices and then walks away. I look back to Sutton.

"Hey," I say, causing her to look up at me from her menu.

"Hey."

"Are you going to be mad at me this entire time, or are we going to be able to talk?" I ask without beating around the bush.

"I don't know, Riley. You tell me. You wouldn't even talk about what was going on when you called me." She grumbles.

"I told you the truth, Sutton. I thought you would understand. I thought you get me." I frown, tracing my finger along the edge of the menu.

"I'm not mad that you told me the truth. I'm mad that you waited to tell me until I was sure of my feelings for you. And now suddenly, you've come to the realization that there's somebody else and you're not good enough for me?" She scoffs, "I'm sorry, Riley, but that's bullshit. If I felt like you weren't good enough for me, I would have never gone on a date with you. I would have never kissed you. I wouldn't have shown up here today."

"Sutton-"

"I do get you, but I don't get this. This way of dealing with things... It doesn't make sense to me... If you don't like me, you can just tell me, Riley. I'm a big girl, I'll get over it." Sutton tells me, the volume of her voice getting a little higher.

"Sutton, I don't have feelings for her." I mutter.

"Usually when people talk about an old spark, it means that they still love that person." She says, knitting her brows together in frustration.

"I don't have feelings for her. But I made a mistake. I feel terrible about it. I feel like I'm not good enough for you." I admit.

"What did you do?" Sutton asks.

"Last night, I went to Fallon's house... I thought she just needed a shoulder to cry on, but then-"

"Stop. I don't want to hear it." She cuts me off, shaking her head.

"Sutton, I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I know. And I didn't handle it right, either. I just don't know what to do when it comes to you. I've never felt this way so quickly about anybody. I don't want to mess it up, but I know I already have..." I ramble on and try to fight back the tears threatening my eyes.

"I like you, Riley. A lot. I'm just worried. I'm scared of getting hurt. Whatever you did..." She trails off hesitantly and then continues on, "I'm willing to let it go if you swear to me that you'll never do it again."

"I swear. I wouldn't dream of it. I'm sure this is hard to believe, but I'm focused on you, Sutton. You have all my attention. I want to be with you." I say as the waitress sets our drinks in front of us.

"I believe you," Sutton smiles sadly and takes a sip of her drink, "Now, lets just enjoy our lunch."

"Gladly." I nod.

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

I arrive home to Holden screaming with joy and sprinting around the house like a maniac. I avoid my hazardous little brother as I enter the living room and see Blaine and Caiden sitting on the couch. Parker searches the house desperately for her keys and I turn back to my younger siblings.