Chapter Seven

Sutton slams the door behind her and ambles over to me. I lead her into the living room and she collapses on the couch, massaging her temples. I snicker and walk over to the door. I lock it and accept the fact that if my father comes home, I'm completely and utterly fucked. I walk back to the couch and look down at Sutton. She looks dumbfounded, as if she's just found out some mind blowing news.

"My head hurts really bad," She says, her words still fairly slurred.

"It'll go away," I assure her, pulling out a pack of Marlboros from my pocket.

Sutton's eyes wander up to me and widen when she notices the pack of cigarettes, "Smoking will kill you!"

She snatches them away and runs for the kitchen. I run after her and chase her back into the living room. She starts for my room and swings the door open. Without losing any momentum, she dives face first onto my bed. I sprint after her and jump onto my bed, crash-landing beside her. I yank a cigarette from the pack that's still in her hand and place it between my teeth, reaching for my lighter. Sutton throws herself at me and knocks me onto my back. She holds herself above me and we stare at each other for a long time. Now that the alcohol is starting to wear off, I doubt anything will happen. Right?

"Stop smoking," Sutton demands.

"Why?" I ask.

"It will kill you." She rebuttals.

"So?"

"Don't you care about yourself? Or your life?"

I feel like I'm being interrogated by the cops... Again.

"Not really," I shrug.

"You don't want to live?" She asks with a frown beginning to form on her face.

"I don't know."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means I just like my cigarettes," I say, lighting the one between my teeth and taking a small puff.

"Stop!" Sutton barks, yanking it from my mouth and chucking it out the open window in my bedroom.

I stare at her in disbelief, "Why should I? Give me one good reason."

"Me." She challenges.

"What about you?"

"Well you're my best friend now, so you love me and you can't escape." Sutton yawns and lies on top of me.

"Since when?" I tease.

"Since the day we met," She coos and rolls over, her arms glued around me.

I roll onto her and crack up laughing. I pick up a stuffed animal, a little tiger with matted fur, and shove it in her face.

"I've got the eye of the tiger!" Sutton jokes.

"Boo," I say dryly as I sit up.

Sutton sits up next to me, wearing a huge grin on her face.

"Race you to the living room for Disney movies and ice cream!" I shout as I take off for the couch.

Sutton rockets after me and actually beats me to the couch. She dives over the couch and flops onto the cushions. I slide to a stop beside the coffee table and scowl at her.

"You so cheated," I accuse.

"I'd like to watch Brother Bear please." Sutton says, folding her arms.

By her request, we watch Brother Bear. We eat chocolate ice cream straight out of the container and huddle together on the couch. We cover ourselves with my favorite blanket and begin talking through the entire movie. We share a lot with each other and find out that we have a ton in common. At some time during all of this, she rests her head on my chest and we continue our conversation normally. I find myself intrigued by Sutton and everything about her. While this is great and everything, I'm also starting to get worried. I've never been so interested in a girl, especially a straight one. But at least I know I have to stop while I'm ahead.