Chapter Fifteen

I can't believe my ears. I can hardly believe my eyes. Following my brain, my face cycles through different emotions that I can't even comprehend. My mother's smile slowly fades as I rise to my feet. Katherine quickly raises her hand toward me.

"Riley, please sit down. I know how you're feeling... But, please. I'm asking you nicely." Katherine says in a hushed tone.

I hesitate, grimacing as I sit down once again.

"Thank you. Now, I'm going to have you and Dana speak to one another. Just pretend like I'm not even here," She says.

Silence blankets the room and my mom places her hand on my knee. I brush her fingers off and shake my head slowly.

"Riley, I'm sure you're confused right now, but-"

"Confused?" I scoff, "I'm angry! What? You leave after I'm born and then you just decide that you can slip into my life again after all of these years?" I shout, turning to look at her.

"Please, Riley, I-"

"You what? You're sorry? Yeah. I fucking know. I know how all of this goes. You're going to apologize and you're going to try and make things right... But you know what? I'd rather spend all my time with that asshole who treats me like shit, but won't skip out on me the way you did." I lower my voice and bite my bottom lip.

"Wait, hold on," Katherine interjects, "Your father. He doesn't treat you right?"

I'm quiet as my eyes try to escape Katherine's gaze. I can't look away, though. Our eyes meet again and I feel tears welling up in my eyes. My vision becomes blurry as I let the crying commence.

"He beats me." I admit, feeling completely guilty.

"Riley, why didn't you tell anyone?" My mother asks, taking me into her arms.

"Why didn't you stay? Why didn't you want me?" I whimper as I tremble in her embrace.

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

"Alright, alright, check this out. Corner pocket." Keagan announces, sitting on the edge of the pool table.

She leans back and places the pool cue behind her. I stand a few feet away, holding my cue and watching her work her magic. She sticks her tongue out a bit, trying to focus on her shot. Keagan then launches the cue ball into the eight ball. It rolls straight into the corner pocket. She hops off of the pool table and lifts her arms above her head. She dances around and laughs.

"Keagan wins! What an outstanding victory! But don't worry, folks. The loser is still extremely adorable." She sets her cue on the table and lifts me up, giving me a swift kiss on the cheek.

I hug her and Keagan tells me she'll buy me dinner for my excellent display of effort at the pool hall. We decide to grab some burgers and then go back to her place to hang out. On the way there, I check my phone and see that I still have no texts from Riley. I sigh and look down. Keagan asks me what's wrong and I shake my head.

"Just worried," I say.

"Well, you can be worry free, cause you're with me." She winks and laughs as she stops the car.

Later, we're sitting in Keagan's bedroom. I flip through an old yearbook of hers and lie on her bed. The house is silent, since her roommates are all out and about. We've been having fun, but I just can't get my mind off of Riley. I hope she's okay. I turn the next page of Keagan's yearbook and look up as she emerges from the bathroom. She now sports a pair of baggy sweatpants and an old t-shirt. She brushes her hair over her shoulder and puts her dirty clothes into a hamper.

"So, how would you say our first hang out is going?" She asks.

"First hang out..." I echo, turning another page.

"Yeah, it was a hang out. Right?" Keagan adds.

I sit up and look at her with a straight face. She grins and crawls toward me, tilting her head.

"What? Did you think it was a date?" She asks, pushing me onto my back and holding herself above me.

"I don't know," I say in a slightly shaky voice.

"Usually when it's a date, the two people kiss." Keagan tells me, leaning down so our faces are just inches apart.

"Ah, then I guess it wasn't a date," I laugh awkwardly, "I knew you don't think of me that way. Why else would you call me adorable and buy me dinner? It is just the friendly thing to do."

"Shut up," Keagan chuckles.

"Make me," I challenge.

I suddenly realize that Keagan will take that exactly how I said it. And she does. As soon as the words leave my mouth, our lips meet. I close my eyes and for some reason, I feel nothing. This doesn't feel right. I slowly pull away and Keagan opens her eyes. She sits back and I brush a hand through my hair. I can't do this. What am I doing?

"What's wrong?" Keagan asks, a worried expression now painted across her face.

"I'm sorry... But I think I just need you to take me home," I say.

"Oh... Sure." She nods as she takes her keys off of the nightstand and follows me out the door.

Without speaking, we get into the car and she drives me home. Once she's in the driveway, I quickly get out and hurry to my own car. I feel bad and I know it's midnight, but I have to see Riley. I get in my car and practically zoom out of the driveway. I speed to the trailer park, my heart pounding in my chest. As I slow down on her street, I notice that her car is gone. I take out my phone and call her up. It rings a few times before she finally answers.

"Hello?" A voice says sleepily.

"Riley!" I squeak.

"Sutton! Yeah?" She replies, sounding a little more lively.

"I need to see you. Where are you?" I ask.

"In a motel... With my mom."

"What? Your mom? I need to see you. Can I come see you?" I plead hurriedly.

"Yeah, of course. It's the little motel off of Prairie Street. You'll know it when you see it, it's actually pretty nice." Riley informs me.

"I'm on my way!" I tell her as I drive out of the trailer park and back onto the road.

"Alright, meet me on the third floor right outside the elevator."

"I will." I smile as I start on my way, getting onto the highway.

I drive as fast as I can to get to her. Before I know it, I'm pulling into the parking lot of the upscale motel. The sign outside reads "Vacancy" and a few lights are on throughout the building. I park my car and get out, hurrying into the hotel. I walk through the quiet lobby and toward the elevators. The elevator doors open up and I select the third floor button. The lift comes to a stop and the doors open again to reveal Riley. She leans against the wall across from the elevators with a smile on her face. I hurry to her and throw my arms around her. We hold each other for a long time and I instantly feel right once more. Everything is right.