Chapter Eight

My mouth falls open and I reach for her phone in an attempt to snatch it away. Instinctively, she yanks it from me and places her hand on her hip. She flashes me a knowing grin and watches my disbelief. My mind is racing as I try to recall more events from last night. I still can't remember anything but drinking. What happened?

"What... How?" I stutter, feeling a lump in my throat.

"You didn't forget, did you?" Cora snickers, "Fallon is my friend. I got an invite."

"That's so wrong... You're sick," I choke out.

"Am I? Am I really? It looks like you're the one kissing a girl in this picture. I'd say you're the sick one." I can't even bear to look at Cora right now.

I curl my hands into fists and bite on my bottom lip to keep it from trembling. I can hardly believe what's happening. One day, Cora is my best friend and everything is fine. The next day, she hates me and wants to ruin my life. My mind is completely overwhelmed with a mix of different emotions. I cycle through confusion, fear, and helplessness before I finally stop at anger.

"I'm just going to use social media to update our friends on all of the things happening in my life and my friends' lives." Her clever smile turns into a disapproving scowl, "I really thought you were my friend. How long have you been like this? Did she turn you?"

"I was drunk! Okay?!" I yell defensively, allowing my brain to go into auto-pilot.

"A drunk person's actions are a sober person's thoughts," Cora shoots back.

"I-I was drunk and she-she grabbed me! She told me to kiss her and I tried pushing her away, but she held me there!" I blurt.

I can hardly believe my own ears. I feel disgusted with myself. I had the courage to call Riley my friend and defend her in front of Cora. But now I'm lying about her to Cora's face. And for what? To save a friendship because it's comfortable? Is saying that it's Riley's fault even a lie? I was drunk. I don't remember. So, technically, it could be her fault. Right? I can't believe I'm trying to justify this to myself.

"Well..." Cora trails off for a moment, looking consumed by thought, "If that really is the case, which it very well could be, then I won't send it around just yet. I'll wait. Just in case."

She winks and gives me a nod before strutting off toward her house. I push my hands through my hair and grab handfuls of it, pulling as hard as I can. I grit my teeth and throw my head back, wishing I could scream til my face turned blue. I storm inside and go straight for the kitchen. I open the fridge and grab a container of cookie dough, disappearing into my bedroom and slamming the door behind me. I set the tub of dough on my desk and take a moment to throw my body on my bed. I push my face into my pillow and scream bloody murder. I'm on the verge of tears when my mom opens the door.

"Where were you last night?" She asks, sitting down on the end of my bed.

"At a friend's house." I reply, still face down in my pillow.

"Cora's?"

"No. A new friend. Her name's Riley." I mumble, finally sitting up to look at her.

"Oh. That's nice. Is she your age?"

What is this? Twenty questions?

"Yeah. We have classes together. That's how we met." I explain.

"Very cool," Mom says cheerily, "What did you two do last night?"

"We hung out and watched some movies. It was fun."

"How nice. I'm glad you had fun... Well, your father and I are going to a bible study tonight, so we won't be home. If you decide to go out again, please don't forget to let me know. You had us worried sick." She says, standing up.