Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

October 11th, Day 2

            I wouldn’t say I was excited; maybe pleased that I had morning plans with a –somewhat friend- but definitely not excited. And I definitely hadn’t stayed up the night before smiling and fidgeting around in my covers. And I was definitely not thinking about Louis this whole time while I ran around trying to find my shoes and put an outfit together.

I was standing in front of a full length mirror, flattening my black trench coat so it fell swaying at my shaky knees. My outfit underneath the same as it usually is; white sweater with strangling jeans; holes in the oddest of places.  

 I ruffled my hair, making the right strands stick out in the right places. And once I was satisfied I walked into my kitchen that was full with wooden cabinets and took a sip of water, calming myself.

 I wasn’t nervous, it wasn’t that. It had just been a while since someone had actually made plans to sit down and talk to me. Interviews had never counted; those were just snotty people who had nothing better to do than sit and ask about rumors.

It made me livid that nobody ever wanted to call and just talk. Like really talk. The kind of talking you do when it’s late at night and all there is to listen to is the silent screaming in the back of your head. That’s the kind of talking I longed for.

And maybe Louis was going to end up being this friend; hopefully he would be; because honestly he seemed like the only real person around here; from what I’d seen of him.

I regarded up at the clock, my eyes opening wide as I’d noticed I was late. Hurriedly, I took my phone and stuffed it inside my enormous coat pocket, along with my journal; then I busted out the front door –still moving quite slow- and locked it behind me. Sighing, I slumped my shoulders forward and proceeded down my walk way and towards the bakery.

 It was chilly outside, but not the type that numbed your feet and blinded you from seeing; the type that tickled your toes and turned your cheeks slightly pink. The birds were singing and I had to admit, I’d missed coming out like this; to enjoy the quiet flipping of newspapers by cozy neighbors and the shuffling of icy tree limbs bumping into each other blithely. It was soothing.

When I reached the bakery –which wasn’t too far, just right down the road- I could see through the smudged glass windows a familiar boy appearing just as he was last night. Blue sweater, white jeans.

I strode in, my steps brighter than normal; and Louis looked up. His eyes seemed to settle on me and his folded hands relaxed like he’d just laid eyes on something elegant and peaceful.

I tilted my lips, tripping over my feet as I made my way over to the table nipped into the corner of the shop. Louis laughed a bit, hiding his crinkling eyes with the sleeves of his jumper.

“Clumsy, clumsy boy.” He breathed, nodding down for me to sit in the rickety chair across from him.

I embarrassingly chuckled, my eyes doing the same as his as I sat, “My feet seem a bit too big for my body at times.”

“Obviously.” Louis playfully grinned at me and then glanced up at May who stood over us holding a notepad and a pen.