Chapter 16

Chapter 16

December 16th, Day 70

I pulled my beanie tight around my thick curls as Louis and I trudged down the sidewalk; taking a secret pathway to avoid any paparazzi or fans; we didn't want to deal with them today. We also didn't want them to see us together again as gay rumors were starting to take over the world -or so it felt like-.

And I wanted so badly to reach out of my trench coat pocket to hold Louis' shivering fingers but I knew that I couldn't. And it killed me, made me feel unprotected because his hands usually made me feel like everything was okay. They were sort of my home.

So instead of pressing my palm to his, I smiled down at him. Taking in all that he was, and all that we were. If that made any sense at all.

"Stop smiling at me like that, it actually pains me." Louis joked, throwing his shoulder into mine lightly.

My smile grew even bigger, and I kept my eyes on him, "You look pretty today."

A reddish pinkish tone was spread onto the tops of his cheeks, and he held his hand over his heart, pretending he'd been shot, "Ouch Harry you're really killing me." He giggled.

I giggled back, reaching for his hand unnoticeably. Our fingers intertwined and I didn't even notice it was happening at first, until he pulled away and gave me a frown. "You know we can't take any chances."

I shoved my hands into my jean pockets; where they should probably stay. "I know, I didn't mean to." I looked towards my feet and bit my lip.

Louis' eyes sunk and I could feel his heart drown, he wanted to hold my hand as much as I wanted to hold his. But we just couldn't let that happen. It sucked.

When we got to where we'd been heading, I opened the coffee shops wooden door, swinging it wide so Louis could slip in before me.

May's eyes lit up when she spotted me, the little bell hanging on top of the door alerting her that someone had entered. "Look who's finally back." She smiled sweetly, climbing off her small stool sitting behind the cash register to come squeeze me into a hug.

I simpered, taking in her sugar scent; she reminded me of my mom. Except it was hard to remember what my mom smelled like, I hadn't seen her since last year when I visited her in England.

When I had become famous, I moved down here to make things easier for me to get away from screaming fans. It was a good choice, because it did help a lot but it killed me to leave my mom and sister. They didn't really care though, I was kind of alone in this family. As sad as that sounds.

"Why haven't you been around lately? I miss seeing your smile around here." May pinched at my cheeks, just like your grandma would do if they hadn't seen you for a while.

"I've been busy." I looked over at Louis and winked, making sure May didn't see. He giggled.

"Well you two get seated and I'll bring you over some hot chocolate." She patted Louis' shoulder and poked her eyebrow up at me, "Extra whipped cream?"

I nodded then pulled Louis over to the table we had once sat in before. The only table I'd ever sat in ever, actually.

"She's so lovely, can't believe I've lived here for so long and never ran into her." Louis grinned, slipping off his jacket and hanging it around the back of his chair.

I did the same, "Yeah, she's great."

I interlocked my fingers in front of my on the table, knocking my feet into Louis'. It didn't take long until our ankles were wound together.