Chapter 4 Mom

Reyna

~~~

I sigh and recline on the beach chair. Bella and mom are next to me both in swim suits while I'm draped in a long sundress and wearing a huge sun hat.

Moms new house has a pool and a sun porch.

Having to be covered up in the sun makes me miss sun bathing with the Volturi on their private island. I still haven't decided whether or not I hate or love the Volturi.

"Aren't you going to miss this?" mom asks. Mom was made for sunny weather and once upon a time I was too. "The warmth on yout skin. The vitamin D soaking into your pores."

"I will," Bella sighs.

"Can't say the same," I murmur.

"You know colleges in Florida are a lot sunnier," mom points out and Bella raises an eyebrow. "What? I'll never
see you two if you go to University of Alaska." That's exactly the point. Alaska is the cover story.

"I'd love to go to Florida but I go where Bella goes," I say. Bella frowns as guilt sinks in and she takes moms hand. Bella is absently playing with the bracelet on her wrist and trying to avoid eye contact.

"They have a good science program," Bella replies.

"If by science program you mean Edward program," mom counters and smirks. This makes Bella look over her shoulder at Edward sitting inside the house watching us. It's extremely unnerving to have him there.

Edward waves at Bella and continues to converse with Phil.

"The way he watches you. It's like...He's ready to leap in front of you and take a bullet or something," mom observes.

"Not if I can take it first," I joke making mom smile and pat my head.

"And that's a bad thing?" Bella asks.

"It's an intense thing. And you, you're different with him. If he moves, you move-like magnets," mom remarks. "Kind of reminds me of you and your sister."

"We're just, you know...." Bella trails off and shrugs.

"In love, I get it. I just want to make sure you're making the right choices
for you. Cause you're the one who has to live with them," mom murmurs and I cock an eyebrow at Bella.

This choice is much bigger than any living situation. Mom sees her face cloud and quickly changes the subject.

"Alright, enough with the heavy!" mom exclaims and reaches under her chair to pull out a large box. "Happy graduation!" Mom waves for me to come over and places the box on Bella's lap. I sit next to Bella and start to open the box. Bella is more dismayed than excited.

"Mom, I asked you not to waste your money-"

"I didn't. I swear," mom promises cutting Bella off. Bella is concerned about my moms spending habits especially since she is jobless and her husband in a minor league baseball player.

Bella and I lift the box lid off and pull out a quilt. As Bella unfolds it we both start to realize what it is.

"Our trip T-shirts!" Bella and I exclaim.

"Thought they'd make a nice quilt. To keep you warm up there," mom says and I grin and I run a hand along the memories. This is the most heartfelt gift I have ever received. Mom points to the tee from Ensanada and smiles. "Remember that one? From Ensanada."