Chapter 7

I had to give specific details on where I lived since it was a gated community that most people wouldn’t know existed unless they paid attention to their surroundings. We made it to my house and I hopped off the bike. I really didn’t want to go home but I knew I would have to face my family sooner or later. Leo parked the bike and I handed him back his helmet.

“You don’t have to go inside you know.” I said hoping he wouldn’t have to witness the verbal ass whooping I was about to receive for sneaking off and turning my GPS off. I left my bag at school because I knew it had a spy ware GPS on it somewhere. I turned the one on my phone off thanks to some nice kid at school who likes to work on electronics. My family hated that I found out where they put their tracking devices but it was bound to happen.

“Nah, ima stick with you Nicole. It’s not all your fault.” He said. I led us to the door as I took long, deep breaths to prepare for what was about to happen. I opened the door and was grateful that everyone wasn’t standing in front of it. Leo closed the front door behind him as he followed me. We walked through the long hallway and into the living room where I heard the TV.

I stepped down the two steps leading from the hallway to the living room and saw everyone sitting there with their eyes fixed on me. Uncle Kevin was sitting with Kelly on the couch. Adrian was standing next to the doorway leading to the kitchen. My parents were sitting on the loveseat. Everyone had the grimmest look on their face and I felt bad for not at least telling them where I was.

“Hiya Family.” I said trying to crack a joke to lighten the mood. I could sense that everyone was pissed but I wasn’t ready to hear their verbal lashings just yet.

“Where the hell were you Nicole?”Adrian asked. I looked at him and I immediately wanted to slap the hell out of him. Maybe it’s just me but that boy has been the biggest pain in my ass for a while now. Everything he does or says pisses me off.

“That’s none of your business.” I said.

“No but it’s definitely ours Nicole. You’re mother was having a panic attack. Why didn’t you call or say anything?” My father said with a disappointed look on his face.

“It’s not like I didn’t want to. But I knew you were going to ruin my fun if I even called or text you.” I said. I started to feel bad for not calling my parents but it’s too late for regrets.

“Fun!? Fun!? Nicole, someone tried to kill your father and you’re worried about having fun!?” My uncle Kevin yelled hysterically while jumping up. I had never seen him so mad at anyone before, let alone me. Something must have really set him off, and I’m sure it wasn’t just me.

“Calm down Kevin she’s only 17.” My mother said trying to calm him down.

“No Anna. I’m sick and tired of her and her childish games. She needs to understand how selfish she is being by putting us all in danger like that.”

“I’m sorry.” I said feeling defeated.

“Sorry doesn’t cut it this time.” He replied, giving me a death glare. He was clearly upset.

“Kevin, she’s not your daughter.” My mother said in her soft voice. I’ve only known her to go off on someone once before and I wasn’t actually there to witness it, I was on the phone listening. My mother cusses like a sailor when she’s really upset. Who would have known?

“You’re damn right she’s not. She wouldn’t have been acting like this.” Uncle Kevin said, taking his eyes off me for a second to look at Mom.