Chapter 18

****NICOLE’S P.O.V. ****

“Welcome to Roberto’s. How many today?”

“5 I guess.”

“Great right this way.”

We followed the brunette waitress to our booth and sat down. Ja’Niya sat at the head of the table, Penny sat next to Lucas on Ja’Niya ‘s left and I sat on Ja’Niya’s  right with an empty chair next to me.

 “Now family. We’ve gathered here today to talk about the Bambino’s and the De Luca’s together in a peaceful union.” Ja’Niya said in her fake-me-out Godfather voice.

“Ja’Niya can you get your life.” Lucas said.

Forget about it.”  Ja’Niya said, still in her Godfather voice. I just shook my head at her. 

“Hey kiddies. How’ve you guys been? I haven’t seen yah here in a while.” Samantha, the waiter and also Roberto’s wife, said.

Penny and Lucas answered her while she handed us all the menus. As if we werent going to order the usual meal. I stared down at the menu, lost in thought again. Until I heard Samantha talking to the entire table again.

Hey. So I guess we’ll have the usual for you all. How about you sir? Didn’t catch your name.”  Samantha said.

I looked up and I hadn’t noticed that Leo sat down next to me. Wow I really am oblivious.

Leo, nice to meet you…”

“Samantha. My husband owns the restaurant. I’m guessing you’re with Nicole, since she’s gawking at you like you’re a ghost.”

I hadn’t realized I was staring and I quickly paid attention to the menu in my hands. I really needed a nap because not only was I being bipolar, but I couldn’t pay attention to what I was doing. I could feel Leo’s eyes on me and I stared at the menu even harder.

“So what’ll it be Leo?”

“Meat lover’s pizza please.”

“Alrighty. Nicole?”

“Actually can I have the stuffed shells today? I want to try something else for once.”

Lucas, Ja’Niya, and Penny loudly gasped.

“What to you mean try something new!?” Lucas said.

“His pizza is the gift from God.” Ja’Niya said with her hand over her heart. She’s such a damn actress.

“Oh stop being so overly dramatic, I’ll still eat a slice of pizza. I just wanted stuffed shells too. Now I look fat you butt holes.”

They all started laughing at me. I just handed Samantha my menu and ignored everyone.

“Big pitcher of Raspberry Ice Tea coming right up.” Samantha said as she winked me and left. That’s when the table drifted into this awkward silence.

So who was on the phone?” Ja’Niya asked. “Your girlfriend?”

I inwardly cringed at that. And then it hit me. I don’t even know if he has one or ever had one. I know nothing about the stranger next to me.

“My girlfriend and I had an argument over something small.”

“Ohhh.”

“Yeah so I had to break up with her over the phone.” I jerked my head up to look at him with hate in my eyes only to see laughter in his. I instantly calmed down.