Sugawara - Not Good Enough

request by squad3taichou

~ the first words your soulmate will say to you are written on your wrist ~
-:-:-:-:-:-

You love art. It was your main focus throughout life. In school you would make little doodles of patterns and facial features, at home you would spend hours perfecting your concepts and techniques, and at night you would look online, drawing inspiration from au's and fanfictions of your favorite characters.

You were able to see it everywhere you went. On the way to school, the unnatural suburban setting mixed with the vast vegetation could almost be considered juxtaposition. The cities with the urban aesthetic during the day that filled with lights and a calm setting at night. Your room complete with chalkboards of ever-changing calligraphy quotes and 2d succulents. Even the sticker of the milk carton at the grocery store had you in awe at how someone could come up with such an iconic cow.

But,

There was something that held you down.

A reminder that all the hard work you put into your favorite hobby would never be enough.

At least not enough for the one you're meant to love, your "soulmate".

The reminder, you ask? The small writing on your wrist, printed in the neat handwriting of your future so-called lover, reciting the first sentence they would ever say to you:

"This is worse than I thought it would be."

What else would it mean? It doesn't apply to much else. But, why would someone say that? Is your art really that bad? You've improved so much and given all your effort to be the best you can be, but you can't help but ask yourself, are you good enough for them?

-:-:-:-:-:-

The school day started and you went to your 3rd year classroom as usual. Nothing out of the ordinary was happening, until a grey haired boy walked in. You knew him, Sugawara Koushi, he was in your year but you've never had the same class with him. You knew him because you were friends with Kiyoko, and would sometimes pop into the volleyball club to talk with her while she was managing for them.

Sugawara looked like a man with a plan, finding the person he wanted to speak to immediately and walking up to their desk. His target was Asahi. Upon arriving at his desk, Sugawara began talking about the boy rejoining the volleyball club. Despite everything Sugawara kept saying, Asahi continued to politely reply he would not be on the team this year. Sugawara said something in a tone that could be described as a mix of anger and sorrow, something as a last attempt to get him to come back, but left the classroom without victory.

"Asahi left the volleyball club?" You thought to yourself. "I wonder what happened, maybe I should head back down to the club after school to ask Kiyoko about it. Wait, is that rude? It's really not my business... ah, why not. I'm a witness and too invested in my curiosity at this point to remove the thought."

-:-:-:-:-:-

After school, you head on over to the volleyball club to hang out with Kiyoko and learn about what's new with the volleyball club. Kiyoko had told you before that there were some pretty talented first years this season, and that with a little practice they'll find their footing and possibly change Karasuno's name in the volleyball program. Man, there was so much you wanted to figure out.

You enter the building with your backpack and sketchbook. You greet Kiyoko before taking a look at the school's volleyball team. They were a pretty odd bunch, but you didn't mind.