Swear to shake it up

Phil woke up to the sound of his alarm buzzing loudly and annoyingly. He yawned and sat up, rubbing his eyes. He looked around the room, his vision fuzzy and blurry without his glasses or contacts in. Phil wore glasses more than contacts because contacts were expensive, and his father refused to buy them.

He reached over his bed and slid on his glasses. He blinked a few times then sighed. Phil took a shower and brushed his teeth. He put on a red plaid shirt and black jeans, then his black glasses. He ran downstairs, deciding not to eat breakfast because he was too nervous. Also, because he heard his father beginning to walk downstairs.

Phil dashed out the door with his book bag on his back and phone with ear buds in his pocket. He walked to the bus stop and saw only a few kids sitting scattered around. Phil stepped towards the back and found an empty seat. Not in the very back, that's where the rowdy kids sat. He also wasn't too far up front where the annoying kids sat. The ones who never stopped talking and were terrible listeners.

Phil sighed and pulled out his phone. He played his music loudly, with one ear bud in his ear and his head pressed against the window. He focused on the trees and then his reflection. Phil sorted his black fringe, and then he shut his eyes. The bus stopped a few times as more kids loaded onto the bus.

"U-um, hi, may I sit here? If you're not saving that seat for anyone, that is." A girl said to Phil. He took the ear bud out of his ear and looked at her. She had short, straight brown hair that went down to her chin with a fringe the same way as Phil's. She had soft hazel-brownish eyes and was wearing a light blue shirt and a white skirt that went down to her knees. She also wore rectangular, black glasses.

Phil realized he was staring and nodded. He motioned for the girl to sit next to him and she sighed in relief.

"Oh, thank you so much. Um, I'm Mia. What's your name?" Mia said as she sat down. The bus then began to move again. Phil pulled out a notebook and pencil.

I'm Phil. Nice to meet you! He wrote down and passed it to Mia.

It took Phil so long before he began even communicating at all. He figured he could filter what people knew better if he wrote things down. You can look over writing, but once you say something, you've said it. No take backs. You could say 'just kidding" but that only got one so far.

"D-do you mind me asking why, um, you're writing instead of speaking?" She asked. Phil gave Mia a soft smile. She was kind, and Phil could see she was trying to be polite and not upset him. She passed back the notebook.

I don't mind. It's not because I'm mute. I just don't talk. Phil wrote and handed it back.

"Oh, any reason? Sorry if I sound like I'm prying, by the way. Just trying to keep conversation. We can change the topic if you like." Mia said with a smile. She seemed a little more comfortable around Phil know as she handed back the notebook.

I'd rather change the subject, thanks. We should get to know each other! Phil wrote happily. Mia read it and nodded.

"Okay! I'll ask you ten questions, you write the answer. Then we'll switch! Well, I mean you'll write questions and I'll say answers. I mean- well you know what I mean, so I'll shut up." Mia said with a giggle. Before they could start, the bus stopped and a bunch of guys came onto it. "Aw, no, not them again." Mia said.