Consumed by Darkness (Chapter 3)

Nate looked around the large room. All of the other Hunters in the Organization were gathered there as well. Nate knew that Lucas must be captured but he never thought that the boy's escape would become a big emergency.

A man stepped onto the stage at the front of the room. The man wore a suit and had gray hair. He had a sense of authority. He walked to the middle of the stage where a podium was waiting for him.

"My name is Ronald Walterson. I am going to be in charge of the investigation." He turned to the big screen behind him, which now showed a giant picture of Lucas. " This is Lucas McLyons. He is a dark sorcerer who has escaped his prison cell." Mr. Walterson turned back towards the audience. "I will now read the names of those who have been chosen to work the case. If your name is spoken, will you please go to the briefing room to learn more about the target." Mr. Walterson started reading from a piece of paper. Finally, he reached the last name. "And Mr. Nathaniel Perkins. That is all." The crowd started separating as Nate went to the briefing room.

When he got there, everyone else was waiting for him. Nate casually sat down in the back of the room as Mr. Walterson started speaking. "Now that everyone is here, it is important that you all know just how dangerous the target really is. We had a young warlock look into Me. McLyons' mind before he escaped. of course, the boy is now a nervous wreck but he has agreed to show each of you what he saw. So each of you will be taken one by one to the warlock. Perkins," Nate looked up quickly. "You will go first. Follow me."

Mr. Walterson led Nate through a side door and into a small room with a small table and two chairs. In one of the chairs sat a boy with greasy straw-colored hair. His wild grey eyes darted nervously around. "Would you please leave us alone?" his high-pitched voice asked Mr. Walterson, who nodded and exited the room. As soon as Mr. Walterson left, the boy took Nate's hands and told him to close his eyes and clear his mind. Nate wasn't sure how to clear his mind but he closed his eyes and tried his best. He waited for what felt like forever until he couldn't help it anymore and opened his eyes. However, when he opened his eyes, Nate was no longer in the small room. Instead, he was in a forest.

A boy of about 14 ran up to him but didn't seem to see him. The boy had fiery red hair and bright blue eyes. The boy was laughing as he called out, "Seamus! I know where you are!" Then the boy ran right through Nate!

Nate was surprised but realized that he must be watching a memory. He followed the boy, who was surprisingly fast for his age. "He must be a Druid," he thought to himself. It was evident since the boy knew his way around the forest so well and seemed to move on a hidden forest path. Nate caught up with the boy at a cave. The boy was no longer smiling and laughing. Instead, he seemed perplexed and angered. Nate followed his gaze to the mouth of the cave. There, a smaller version of the red-haired boy was being held by what looked like a shadow. Nate knew enough from his training that this "shadow" was an extremely powerful demon who, once it possesses someone, can never be exorcised no matter what. No one has ever gone against a shadow demon and been able to defeat it. The little red-haired boy saw the older one and cried out. "Lucas! Help me!"