Consumed by Darkness (Chapter 2)

The whole Mason family crowed into the room and around the bed. Mrs. Mason started taking the boy's temperature. Mrs. Mason was a nurse and had applied for a job at the local hospital. Mrs. Mason shook her head as she moved on from the temperature to blood pulse. Everyone was silent as she worked.

A few agonizing moments later, Mrs. Mason looked up and started speaking. "He has a really high fever and quick, shallow breathing. Normally I would take him to the hospital but..." She was silent. Gennie finished the sentence for her.

"He's too weak to be moved, isn't he?" Mrs. Mason nodded.

"I am going to go and get a wet rag. Daniel could go and find the box with the blankets and pillows." She paused. "I want the rest of you to leave him alone...except for Gennie. I want you to stay with him in case he wakes up. He might be a run-a-way child." Everyone left the room except for the boy and Gennie.

A few minutes later, a boy with dark brown hair and blue eyes who looked about 18 came in with an armful of blankets. Gennie looked up at him "Thanks Daniel. I'll put the blankets on him." Daniel nodded as he handed Gennie the blankets and left.

Her mom came in afterwards with a wet rag and put it on his forehead. Then she did a quick check of his vital signs and left.

About ten minutes later, Gennie was starting to fall asleep when a movement on the corner of her eye woke her senses right up. The boy's hand had moved. Gennie went to the side of the bed and hesitated before touching the boy's hand. As soon as she touched his hand the boy sat straight up. Gennie jumped back, startled. The boy looked at her, confused. Then he looked around with astonishment.

"Where am I and who are you?" He asked with a faint foreign accent. His skin was at white as a ghost and he had what looked like purple eyes. "He must be wearing contacts" she thought to herself.

"My name is Gennie Mason and you are in a room in our house. Who are you?" She asked back, not caring if she was being rude or not.

The boy sighed. "My name is Lucas..." He paused as he thought before continuing. "I don't remember my last name but I remember that I am an orphan. I don't remember how I got in here but I was pretty tired." For some reason, Gennie felt like Lucas wasn't telling the whole truth but she just nodded and stood up.

"I'm going to go and tell my mom that you're awake. She'll probably send my up with some food so don't go anywhere." Gennie left the room and the boy behind, trying to shake off the feeling that Lucas was lying and knew more than he was letting on.