Consumed by Darkness (Prologue)

Nate walked briskly through the long hallway, each step echoing. He had no idea why he had to be the one who had to take the prisoner his food. That job belonged to the guards, not the Hunters. Yet, here he was, taking food to prisoner #385.

Nate stopped at an iron door with a sign on the front. The sign read, "Prisoner 385: Lucas McLyons". Nate hesitated. He had heard many of the guards and some of the Hunters talk about this guy. Apparently, Lucas McLyons was extremely powerful and probably the most dangerous prisoner the Organization ever had. Some say that he was older than the Organization itself.

Nate shook his head clear of these thoughts and entered. He found himself in a room with sky-blue walls and one bed. The room itself seemed cheerful enough but what really caught Nate's attention was the occupant of the room. Sitting at a small table in the corner of the room was a small person covered in a dark cloak. Nate walked towards the figure and was surprised that Prisoner #385 was a boy about 14 years old. Nate fought back his anger at the cruel prank that his superiors were playing on him. Somehow they were expecting him to babysit this brat.

"I assure you that I'm not your average kid" the boy said as if he read Nate's mind. "I have been alive longer than your great-grandparents' parents." The boy's accent seemed foreign and old-fashioned. His skin was pasty white, as if he had never seen sunlight in his life. But the thing that Nate really noticed was the boy's eyes. His eyes were a dark shade of purple.

Nate blinked as he realized that the boy was waiting for him to say something. "Who are you?" he asked. The boy seemed a little agitated by this question but answered anyway.

"My name is Lucas McLyons. I would have thought that even an idiot could see that from the sign on the door." Lucas aided and looked at Nate before continuing. "And who are you?"

Nate replied. "Nathaniel Perkins, age 17. I'm a 2nd class Hunter of the Wizardry, Witchcraft, and Sorcery Department of the Hunters of the Round Table." Nate was proud of his recent promotion to 2nd class Hunter and took every opportunity to show off his full title. Lucas was not amused.

"Your name would have been fine. No need to be a show off." Lucas suddenly changed the subject. "I'm bored. I think I'm ready to eat now." Nate put the forgotten food on the table. He noticed that there was a chess board on the table. Lucas followed Nate's gaze. "Would you like to play? I never get to do anything, let alone play chess. I haven't played for decades but that shouldn't matter. I bet I'll still win." Lucas smiled and looked a like child for the first time throughout the conversation. Nate nodded. They played many times in a row but Nate always lost. Nate talked to Lucas more and left 2 and a half hours later.

"Don't leave!" Lucas cried. Nate thought he could almost see fear in the child's eyes. "You can't leave me here alone again! It is so lonely and what if you forget about me!?!" Lucas got up from the table and started walking towards Nate. Nate saw for the first time that Lucas had chains on his foot that connected to the wall. Nate looked away quickly. He knew immediately that the chains were made by dwarfs and sapped magical ability. Yet, Nate had a hard time believing that Lucas was harmful enough to be chained by the Organization by dwarfish craftsmanship.

Nate smiled encouragingly. "Don't worry. I'll come again tomorrow." Nate then turned and left. Had he looked back, he would have seen the evil, satisfied grin on Lucas' face.