Nine

I jumped into Dad's car, proud as punch.

"What's made you so happy?" He asked.

"Hayden. She's got a horse, Oreo. She let me ride her."

"Oh, really?" Dad said surprised. "I didn't know you could ride."

"Yeah, Hayden's teaching me."

"That's nice of her."

We pulled up the now familiar dusty tan driveway. Dad pulled the car to a stop and ran off inside.

"Hi Mum," I said, running past her and straight out the back door.

I kept running until I made it all the way to the barn. I rushed in and heard a meow coming from the second last stall.

"Oh. It's you." I said, staring at the cat sitting inside.

I let it out and watched it make its way upstairs. I followed closely behind, remembering that I haven't even been up to the loft yet. We got to the top of the stairs and the cat swiftly pranced over to the large window. She jumped up and sat on the sill.

I looked around, mostly just hay bales and cobwebs. Until something shining in the sun caught my eye. I hurried over, pushing aside a few blocks of hay.

It was a trunk. A smooth, expensive, wooden one. I brushed off the dust and opened it up. Inside was old photos, mostly black and white. There wasn't many, only about 6 or so.

One showed a girl holding her horse in one hand and 1st ribbon in the other, she was smiling like crazy. The other 4 were of her and the same horse but I couldn't tell what colour it was since the photos were black and white. Then, the 6th one, caught my eye. It was the same girl again, she looked about my age or a few years older but this time she was with a new horse. It had a shiny new head collar and I squinted to see what the gold nameplate said.

"S...S-A....S-A-M-S...."

Suddenly I dropped the picture and gasped. My eyes widened as I heard Dad coming up the stairs. I panicked and quickly shoved then photos back in the trunk and pushed it behind a bale just as Dad appeared at the top of the stairs.

"Dinners ready." He told me.

A/N
Ehh short chapter I know but I guess I make up for it since the last chapter went for ages.