Seven

I dropped my bag under the science table and took my seat. The teacher stood in front of the classroom and called upon a rushed girl who just walked in.

"Ah, Hayden! I need you to sit with Teagan and show her around, she's new here."

The girl nodded and hurried over to take the seat next to me.

"Hi." She said, giving me a warm smile.

"Hi." I said back, returning the smile.

The teacher started the class and told us we needed to begin a new experiment. My spine tingled. I love doing experiments! She handed out all the necessary materials and told us to start whenever we were ready.

"So, where do you live?" Hayden asked me.

"Umm." I said, thinking for a second. "I think it's called Black Creek?"

"Oh yeah, I know the place!" 

We gathered up all our materials and began. I stuck one of the cords into our potato and let Hayden plug the other into a light bulb.

"Safety goggles, girls!" The teacher instructed as she passed the table.

"Here you go," I said, handing Hayden some glasses.

"Do you have a sister?" She asked me.

"No, I don't. I'm an only child. Why do you ask?" I said, kind of confused.

"Oh, sorry it's just you seem like the type of person to have a sister, I don't know." She blushed.

"How about you?" I asked.

"Nope. 7 brothers." She replied, shaking her head.

"What?! Really? 7. Wow, that's a lot."

We chatted the whole lesson and we got so caught up in each other and our experiment that the bell made us jump.

"Oh, great!" Hayden moaned as we rushed to put away all the materials.

When it was all done, we grabbed our bags and headed outside to have break.

"So, you said you had a farm right?" Hayden asked me.

"Yeah, well I don't think there's any apartments around here." I told her.

"Is there any animals?" She laughed.

"Well...no. I used to have a horse but-"

"Wait you had a horse?! I've got a horse! Does that mean you ride?! Oh my god I can't wait to finally have someone that-"

"He wasn't exactly mine though."

"It's alright, you don't need to be ashamed by leasing."

"I, I wasn't leasing he was abandoned in my barn. Dad gave him away to the RSPCA."

"Oh. That's horrible, I'm so sorry."

"Yeah..."

"How about you come by my place this arvo and you can come and meet my horse?"

"I'd love to, thanks!"

Hayden slipped me a note with her address and before I knew it, recess was over. The day sped past me as well and I was soon back on the bus home.

"Mum?! Dad?!" I called excitedly.

Dad came in through the back door clutching the leather straps from the barn. Hayden told me it was a jumbled bridle.

"Dad! Can I go to a friends hou- wait. What are doing with that?" I asked frantically.

"Oh, I was just going to chuck it out, it's all jumbled up and it's no use to us." He told me.

"No!" I shouted, snatching it out of his hands.

"Ok, ok!" He cried throwing his hands in the air. "Where's this friends house?"

I looked down at the crumpled piece of paper in front of me and read the address aloud.