Chapter XI

When we walked inside the house I knew it was gonna be trouble.

*CHIRP* the alarm sound when the door opens or close.

We tried to sneak up the stairs but a light came on in the living room next to the entrance.

"Don't you two move anywhere." a Hispanic accent said and I knew it was Julio.

We turned around to make eye contact with him.

"The fuck are you to doing back? You don't come back to the morning."

"We jus--." Caramel was interrupted by the sound of the phone ringing.

Julio picked up the phone and put his index finger up at us so he could hear the other people on the phone.

As he was talking his face expression went from a smile to a mad look. When he looked at us I instantly knew what it was.

He said his last words and slammed the phone back on the hook. He leaned over and took a deep breath then turned towards us.

"You fucking idiots! You messed up my money!" he exclaimed.

"They were making jokes about us the whole time we were there." I told him.

He chuckled, "So what. You sensitive now? $10,000 I'm not getting because yous let emotions get in the way." he said walking towards us.

"Well maybe next time, don't send us with people that's just gonna crack jokes all day." I said rolling my eyes.

*SMACK* Julio slapped me right in my face. I fell on the ground holding my face.

I had it up to here with Julio hitting me. I got up from the ground and *SMACK* I slapped him back. Caramel gasped by seeing what I done.

"So you wanna fight back?" Julio said as he choked me and slammed me against the wall.

He kneed me in my stomach three times and I bent over holding the pain. He let me fall on the floor. I tried to get up but he punched me in my face and I fell back down. I could feel the blood coming out my nose and my eye swelling up. I began to cough up blood. "Fucking asshole." I said to him.

He smiled and kept punching me in my face until it went pitch black.

-

NEXT DAY

I woke up in the bed sore as ever. I got in the shower and put on my black hoodie with sweats and my dark sunglasses. I decided to go to Romel house since I haven't seen him in a while.

I got up to his door and procrastinating about knocking on the door. "Just do it." I said to myself.

I knocked on the door and my heart start beating fast. I didn't know what his reaction was gonna be seeing me so I was about to walk away until the door opened.

"Ernicia? What you doing here?" he asked.

"I wanted to see you." I smiled keeping my head at a angle where he couldn't see my black eye. "Can I come in?" I asked.

He sighed, "Yeah." he moved to the side so I can walk through and he closed the door behind me.

I looked around to see all these boxes laid on top of eachother in the corner. "Moving somewhere?" I smiled hoping the answer was no.

"Yeah, actually I am." he said with his hands in his pockets.

"How come you didn't tell me?" I asked tryna smile the tears away

"How was I gonna tell you, E?"

"Um idk. Maybe try calling me or texting me something. Where you moving to?"

"New York. I'm boutta actually get drafted next week to the Knicks."

"That's amazing." I smiled. "I'm happy for you Ro but where does this leave me and you?" I asked out of curiosity.

"I don't-- Why you have on sunglasses inside the house?" he asked trying to take my glasses off.

I moved my head out the way, "Stop Ro."

"Take em off." he kept reaching.

I kept moving out but he grabbed me and snatched the glasses off my face.

"What the fuck E? So this what you wanna do all yo fuckin life man?"

"Don't judge me Ro." I said snatching the glasses out his hand.

"I'm not! You better than this E. I'm trynna be there for you and with you but you making it hard." he explained

"I'm making it hard? Me?" I questioned. "This isn't just a 9 to 5 job I can just quit Ro. It's a lifetime."

He chuckled, "That's what they all say. Shit from the outside looking in you got me feeling like you like being hit on by this nigga like what the fuck."

I just stood there because I didn't really have an explanation why I won't leave.

"Look man." he said picking something up off the table next to us. "Here. It's a plane ticket and pass to get in a the NBA Draft. If you come I know you actually down for me and this where you wanna be. And if you don't, I know where yo heart is."

I took the papers out his hand and walked pass him. He grabbed arm, "Either you wanna be happy or miserable your whole life." I looked him in his eyes tearing up. I walked out the door to my car and drove off back to the devils palace.

-

It's been a week already and today was the day Romel was leaving to New York. I had one of the biggest choices of my life to make.

One choice was either I can stay and deal with selling myself and not amounting to anything anymore or I could go with Romel and be happy for once in my life and start a family with a guy I love.

But ONE thing I'm not boutta do is put Romels life in jeopardy just to be HAPPY.  Maybe he'll find someone else and be happy with her.