Chapter XII

But then again, I can't be miserable all my life. Someway, somehow I'm gonna pay off my dues with Julio but I'm going after my man.

I start packing all my stuff and zipped up my suit case to leave but before I go, I have to say my goodbye to Caramel. She's the one that really stuck up for me.

I tip toed to her room and shut the door quietly. "Candice." I whispered.

I walked over to her bed and shook her until she woke up. "What?" she said half sleep.

"Wake up for me babygirl." I smiled.

She turned and looked at me, "Ernicia? What you doing?" she asked.

"I wanna say bye to you."

"Where you going?" she asked

"Away from here. I promise when I get enough money I'm going to send for you." I told her

She smiled, "I'm going to miss you." she told me

We hugged eachother, "I made a promise okay?"

"Yeah." she smiled

After me and her talk I got my suitcase and hurried out the door. I drove to the airport as fast as I could to catch the flight. I made it just in time before the last plane for NYC was gonna take off.

"I know Romel hates me right now." I said to myself smiling sitting in coach.

-

I arrived in NYC right at 8:00 PM. New York was totally different from California. It had more skyscrapers and was colder than I expected. I seen all the beautiful lights and models on lit up billboards.

I took a cab to the nearest hotel and I checked in to get ready. I went inside my assigned room and hopped right in shower. I got out and cut on the TV and turned it to the NBA Draft. I seen Romel on there and they was showing a video of him and his childhood.

"Shit." I hurried and threw my toilet off and put on my burgundy dress with my black silk jacket and my black heels.

I ran out the hotel, "Taxi!!" I waved my hand in the air to signal them to stop.

"Where to?" the driver asked.

"Downtown."

He done as told and drove off.

-

Romel

"Next for the second round pick to the New York Knicks, Romel Ruiz." the Knicks coach said at the podium.

I got up from my seat walked up to the stage. I grabbed the left side of the Knicks jersey with my last name on it.

I walked to the podium and look at the door hoping Ernicia would walk in. "I guess it wasn't meant to be" I thought to myself.

I began to to my acceptance and forgot about Ernicia at the moment.

Ernicia
We were stuck in traffic and I couldn't wait anymore.

"How much I owe you?" I asked the driver

"Twenty five dollars." he told me.

I threw him the money and I hurried out the car and start running. I looked up at the big screens on the buildings and seen Romel was done with his speak. "Fuck!" I stopped and took my shoes off and ran as fast as I could.

Ten minutes later I made it to the building and got to the door.

"Um pass ma'am." the man stopped me.