Preface

This story happened a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. It is already over and nothing can be done to change it.

It is a story of love and redemption, of bravery in the face of the cruelest tyranny, of death and heartbreaking sacrifice. It is a story of heroes rising up from humble beginnings, and those of noble beginnings learning to find their strength again—a story of a galaxy fallen to darkness, and the brave few whom, their torches lit, tried to make it bright again.

It is the story of the Dark Times, the aftermath of a Fall. For some, the end has already come.

But, as Matthew Stover once put it, that is the strange thing about stories—

This story happened in a time so long ago, in a place so far away, that no words exist to describe the time or distance; yet it is also happening right now. Right here. It is happening even now, as you read this message.

This is how an entire galaxy lost its hope and then fought to find it again. Darkness and despair have crushed tens of thousands of years of peace and prosperity. Crushed the very Light itself. The Republic is already overthe Empire has risen from its ashes. But this is not the story of a fallen republic or an evil empire. It isn't even a story of rebellion: it is the story of freedom of every kind, and those who fought and died for it. The sun has gone downnight has fallen on civilization.

But night has its limits too.

Daylight is coming...