chapter seven.

CHAPTER SEVEN — 
( How do I know that you two haven't been...fondue-ing? )

────────────────

────────────────

        The following day, Evelyn dressed in her agent uniform and headed towards base to see Steve choose a new shield. Before doing so, Evelyn decided to visit Howard's lab to see him. As Evelyn descended the stairs, an explosion went off, causing her to hurry her footsteps, only to find Howard lying down on the ground, covered in smoke. He sat up and looked towards the blue glowing object that Steve snatched up at the Hydra base.

"Write that down," Howard told the other scientist who was working with him at the time.

Evelyn walked in front of Howard and placed her hands on her hips. He slowly looked up at her and smiled sheepishly. "Hi, Evie."

Evelyn rolled her eyes and held her hand out. "You are a complete moron sometimes, you know that?" she asked. He grabbed onto Evelyn's hand and she pulled him up to his feet.

"I've only been told that like a thousand times before," Howard laughed and went to hug Evelyn when she held her hand out to stop him. "What?"

"You're covered in dirt and smoke," Evelyn told him as she slowly lowered her hand. Howard smiled mischievously and hugged her anyway. Evelyn groaned as he squeezed tighter. "It's okay. I didn't need to breathe, anyway," she wheezed out.

He let go of Evelyn and muttered a quick apology. "Are you able to go get Rogers? He should be here now," Howard asked as he looked around the room.

"Sure thing," Evelyn nodded and headed back up the stairs.

Evelyn walked around the building, trying to find Steve, when she turned a corner, thinking he couldn't possibly be down there, but saw him in the middle of two bookshelves, kissing a blonde agent. Evelyn's chest tightened as she clenched her fists.

Evelyn placed her hands on her hips. "Captain!" He immediately pulled away from the agent. "Howard's ready to see you once you're finished here," Evelyn looked between Steve and the agent and then stormed off.

"Agent Parrish, wait," Steve said as he followed after her. "Evelyn, that's not what you thought it was."

Evelyn scoffed, "Like I haven't heard that one before," she rolled her eyes. "You're not the only man who has stood me up for another woman. You've always wanted to be a soldier, now you are just like the rest of them."

"Well, what about you and Stark?" Steve asked, causing Evelyn to stop and turn around to face Steve.

"Me and Howard?" she asked.