chapter eleven.

CHAPTER ELEVEN—
( Nineteen Ninety-Four. )

────────────────

────────────────

She had been out of the cryo freeze for too long, and now her head had been flooding with images of memories she never even recalled having. She tried to sort some of the images out, but it was hard when they all began to blur together. Some were with a man with dark hair and a moustache, with younger versions of him. His name was...Howard. Apparently, the two of them were close. Another one of the images contained two people. An older man and an older woman. Jordan and Elizabeth Parrish. She had known them her whole life.  Did she even have a life before assassinating people?

She sat up in her cell, the throbbing in her head only intensifying by the minute. She held onto a piece of paper in her hands, remembering what was written on it. Something about loving a man she had grown up with.

She looked at the cell wall in front of her. 'The Annihilator,' written on it. A man named the Winter Soldier resided in the cell beside her when they didn't get put into the cryo freeze or were let out for missions. Or the memory wipe. She didn't remember what they did for the memory wipe. All she could remember was the unbelievable pain it brought. Suddenly, she heard yelling and gunshots.

She stood in her cell, holding onto the bars and peeking her head out to see what was happening. HYDRA had just recently given her an injection to weaken her muscles and blur her vision, making her feel dizzy and weak so that she wouldn't fight back or struggle to get her memory wiped. She heard feet pounding and then a slam of a door. Seeing anything outside the cell was hard until someone stood directly before her.

He stepped forward and assessed Evelyn's current situation. "What's happening?" Evelyn asked in Russian.

He didn't speak. He just held his metal arm out and ripped off her cell door before throwing it to the other side of the room. He walked into the cell and reached for the woman. "We have to hurry. We don't have a lot of time."

He threw her arm over his shoulder with his human arm and helped carry her down the corridors and through the base. They reached a door the man had blocked and heard yelling and banging against the door from the other side. "Here," he handed her a gun. "You're not strong enough to fight, so use the gun."

The man counted down from three and then pushed the door with such force that it flew off its hinges. He walked towards the incoming men and began knocking them out or killing them with his metal arm. The woman mustered up as much energy as she could and held up her pistol to fire at the people. The soldiers were quickly cleared, and the man held onto the woman again and decided to go in a different direction from where they heard men coming from.

The duo hurried down a long, dark corridor. The walls were made of metal, so you could hear their feet making noises as they ran. They turned a corner and reached a set of stairs with men blocking the top. The woman quickly shot them down, then proceeded to go past them and up the stairs. They went through a few more corridors until they reached a ladder. The man quickly climbed the steps to break the lock, which blocked them from escaping. He jumped off of the ladder and went to the woman.

He began to carry her towards the ladder and then stood underneath as she slowly climbed. As soon as they heard incoming men, not having the energy to go faster, the man began to push her up the ladder to get her to move faster. When they reached the top, and the woman climbed out, she turned to the man and held her hand out.

"I can't," he shook his head.

"Why?" she asked.

"I need to stay down here to block them from chasing after you."

"No, you don't need to. Not if you come with me."

"You don't have the strength to run after them and fight them if they reach us," he said. "The best I can do is give you a head start." He let go of her hand and looked down the ladder, noticing the men running towards them. "You have to go," he quickly said. "Just remember, your name is Evelyn."

Evelyn frowned as she tried to register what he told her. But before she could even say another word to him, he closed and locked the latch of the secret base they were locked in. She struggled to get to her feet and then began to drag her feet through the snow to find some form of life that could help her out.