Chapter 2 ~ I'm Spoiled ~ Caleb's POV

Small Note: Caleb is the guy pictured in the preview. Also, Sean O'Donnell.

"To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to love and be loved, that's everything." - T. Tolis

------------

My attempt at talking to Harper had been squashed by our Pre-Calc class starting, and her clear uncomfortableness in talking to me. Normally I would be discouraged by a girl's clear lack of interest, but I think I still know Harper. I know that she doesn't like talking to people or the typical formalities of greetings and conversation. I think she's the only person I've met that got angry when I said hello to them. Hopefully she hasn't changed much since 7th grade, and my only mistake was saying hi.

I watched her get up and practically run out of the room as soon as the bell rang. I figured that it was typical of her though, considering it's what she's been doing all year. I yanked my backpack up onto my shoulders and stood. Shoving my hands into my jean pockets, I also fled out of the room. I had three months to make this work, and three months until school ended.

We had our next class together too, after lunch, but shared it with Alec as well.

I headed for the lunchroom with the intention of sitting with my friends. I knew Harper would not be happy if I bothered her again.

At first, when I walked into the lunchroom, everything appeared normal. I could see that Harper was sitting with her friends as usual. It took me a moment to notice Alec and Harper engaged in a conversation. My legs forcibly walked in their direction, taking the long way to me and my friend's table. Kids were still filing into the lunchroom, so it wasn't too loud that I wouldn't be able to hear them.

"So you won't come?" I catch Alec frowning as he asks the question.

"Well, I don't have anything else to do tomorrow, but no, I won't come." She was smiling proudly as she chirped out her answer happily.

Alec's frown deepened, but I missed his response as I continued walking. I could tell that Harper's friends were a mix of happy and disappointed. Her best friend, Eryn, was among the disappointed. I frowned. My gaze shifted from them to my own friends as I made my way to our table.

I sat down with the guys and sighed. Only one of them really took note of my sigh, which would happen to be my best friend Ryder.

"You good, bro?" He asked with a laugh, lightly pushing my shoulder with his fist in a friendly gesture.

"Yeah. I'm good." I smiled and glanced to where Harper was sitting. I was glad to see that Alec had moved on.

"What, do you like her, or something?" Ryder pressed slightly, interested in my thoughts. He was a good friend, and he got to date basically any girl that he wanted. He was barely taller than me, but had sandy blonde hair and green eyes.

"Something like that." I mused as I leaned back in my chair and rested against my backpack. I glanced at the food on everyone's trays and wrinkled my nose. I'd just have to go out to eat after school or something. This school serves actual garbage to us, I think.

Ryder nodded. "I'm sure you can snag her." He turned his attention back to the other guys at the table and joined in their conversation.

I zoned out almost immediately. I wasn't interested in their conversation, I had to find out how to beat Alec. I figured that I'll have to try to hold her attention when we have our gym class so Alec can't move in.

I feel someone tap me on the shoulder and I glance up, immediately regretting it. Skankiest of the skanks. Alexis Page. Straight blonde hair. Big blue eyes. Boob AND butt implants by the age of 16. Maybe even a nose job. "What do you want with me?" I groaned immediately. I had no interest in a piece of plastic that trailed after Montgomery like she was a lost puppy.