Chapter 5: Am I Good Enough?

The very next day Harper woke up bright and early.

"We're in the Survey Corps," she yelled, shaking Lucy awake.

"I know," muttered Lucy from under her blanket.

"Come on!!! Get ready," Harper whined.

"Yeah... Yeah. I'm up," said Lucy as she struggled to climb out of bed. Her bed was just so welcoming. They were still in their barracks but today they would move into the barracks where all the other Survey Corps members resided.

After eating breakfast, Lucy and Harper returned to their barracks to clean for the next set of trainees that would come in. And finally when they cleaned everything, they packed their few belongings and began to head to the Survey Corps' barracks.

Once they arrived at their assigned barracks, they, again, began to clean, seeing as it was dusty and looked like it hadn't been used in forever. As they cleaned they heard someone clear their throat.

"Commander Erwin would like to talk to you Harper, " said Violet. Both girls were honestly surprised to see Violet here, at the Survey Corps. They both thought she would have joined the Military Police or the Garrison, considering Violet graduated in the top ten.

"Ah, okay," replied Harper. Lucy gave her a small 'good luck' as she walked to Commander Erwin's office.

*knock knock* "Commander Erwin.. Sir... it's me, Harper. Violet told me you wanted to see me," she said from behind the door.

Opening the door, Erwin said, "Ahh.. yes. Come in, have a seat."

Walking in, she looked around and saw Hanji and Levi.

"It's alright. Have a seat," said Erwin, noticing Harper's distress at seeing the two commanders.

Harper sat down but immediately avoided eye contact with the man in front of her.

"Tell me Harper, where do you see yourself in the future in the Survey Corps," Erwin asked.

Harper looked confused for a second but finally replied, "Fighting titans.. Sir."

Erwin laughed. Hanji just smiled. Levi almost smirked.

"What I'm trying to say Harper is that I'd think it would be best for you and humanity if you joined the Special Operations Squad, otherwise known as Levi's squad," Erwin said, after laughing. Harper was shocked. Am I really good enough? she thought.

"Yeah! You'd go good in shorty's squad, seeing as you're pretty good. Maybe even better than most of the cadets we have here," said Hanji, almost scaring Harper. She had forgotten that Levi and Hanji were still in the room.

"What about you Levi? What do you think," asked Erwin, as they stared at him in anticipation.

"I guess," he said. That convinced Harper.

"Alright, I'll join," she exclaimed. Happily, she skipped out of the room, but not before saluting her superiors.

As soon as Harper closed the door both Erwin and Hanji turned to face Levi.

"So what's the big deal, shorty," asked Hanji.

"Shut it, shitty glasses. There is no big deal," he replied.

"Nonsense Levi, you may obey my orders but never without a complaint," said Erwin.

Sighing, Levi stood up and walked towards the door and stopped.

"There's nothing wrong. I just think she has the potential to join my squad," he said.

"Uh-huh," said Erwin, unconvinced.